Hey all,

I know there are a ton of threads on sewing leather, and I am not a new guy when it comes to searching and posting new topics, but I'm looking for specifically firefighters, saddle makers, or anyone that works with thicker leather (8-13oz). Currently I hand sew just about anything, and it looks great, love doing it but, but a machine would be more efficient.

What is good starter machine that would work well with thicker leathers, as well as thinner leathers, and something I could find used or on the almighty craigslist? I would like American made (the oversees stuff may work, I just don't know that much about them). I know a couple guys in the industry who use Cobra Class 4 machines, but that is out of my current price range. Plus, I'd like something used for a first sewing machine.

Any info, direction or tips of the trade are welcome, and happy tooling!

Ryan

Hey all,

I know there are a ton of threads on sewing leather, and I am not a new guy when it comes to searching and posting new topics, but I'm looking for specifically firefighters, saddle makers, or anyone that works with thicker leather (8-13oz). Currently I hand sew just about anything, and it looks great, love doing it but, but a machine would be more efficient.

What is good starter machine that would work well with thicker leathers, as well as thinner leathers, and something I could find used or on the almighty craigslist? I would like American made (the oversees stuff may work, I just don't know that much about them). I know a couple guys in the industry who use Cobra Class 4 machines, but that is out of my current price range. Plus, I'd like something used for a first sewing machine.

Any info, direction or tips of the trade are welcome, and happy tooling!

Ryan

I have currently four sewing machines in my leather shop and would have more if I had more space. Only one machine is capable of sewing saddle skirting, holsters, sheathes, saddle bags, weight belts, bridles, double bridle leather belts and dog collars. That machine is a Cowboy CB4500. Not only can it sew over 3/4 inches, but it does so with some of the largest sizes of bonded nylon and polyester thread in current production. Most of the time I use #207 or #277 thread, top and bottom. This is beyond the capabilities of all my other machines. I occasionally use #346 bonded nylon thread on projects 1/2 inch and thicker. This requires a #26 or #27 needle, which is larger than what is available for lesser machines.

My machine, the Cowboy CB4500, is known as a 441 clone, along with the Cobra Class 3 and 4, the Techsew 4100 and 5100 and other similar triple feed machines with custom brand names that are all based on the Juki TSC-441. Price wise, a machine like mine, fully loaded with every available accessory, plus a full range of sizes of needles, lots of bobbins, oil and thread, sells new for about $2700 + shipping, or roughly, $3000. It has a 16.5 inch cylinder arm that can hold a saddle.

The only comparable heavy stitcher currently on the market, with compound feed walking feet and a smooth feed dog and a 16 inch arm and 3/4+ inch capacity, is the Adler 205-374. It sells for about $6,000 to $6,500 at Weaver Leather. It is now being phased out in favor of a newly redesigned heavy stitcher with an integral direct drive motor. It is going to be so expensive that you may need to mortgage your house to afford one.

I have left out two other classes of heavy leather stitchers. One is the bottom feed only CB2500, which is identical to the Techsew 3650, both of which are based on the design of the ancient Singer 45k25. These 10.5" arm machines can handle thread sizes 138 through 346 and thicknesses up to 7/16 inch. The material is moved by aggressive teeth on the feed dog on the bottom. The presser foot is either static, dragging along the top layer, or a huge roller that revolves as the work moves along. These machines can be bought for about $1300 to $1400, plus shipping.

The second alternative machine is the relatively new in between walking foot design sold in the US as the Cowboy CB3200 and in Canada as the Techsew 3800. These are triple feed walking foot machines with smooth feed dogs and 10.5 inch arms. They are rated at a capacity of 1/2 inch, or slightly more if properly setup. They sell for about $1600 plus shipping.

I sincerely doubt that you are going to see any of these machines for sale on your local Craigslist. However, we have a Classifieds section of the forum where individual members sell off used or rebuilt sewing machines and other leather working machinery.

I hope this isn't too cornfusing. But, facts are facts and your typical upholstery shop or tailor's machine isn't going to sew saddles.

There is one old piece of iron that might do what you want to do, Singer 144 w 103. Will sew up to 3/4" with 346 thread, but it is a flatbed. Full compound feed. Someone was trying to move three of them on here recently. Parts are available and they can be set up to take 794 needles that are a lot easier to find. The bobbin holds a weeks worth of thread. I have the two needle version, 145 w 103 and can sew down to 6-8oz depending on the stiffness of the leather. Gump.