alfredleatherworks

New Member From San Antonio, Tx

Greetings everyone! My name is Paul Alfred, and I am a new member here. I took an interest in leatherworking from my father, who used to run a taxidermy shop. Often he would have extra buckskin left over and would use it to make wallets, pouches, bags, backpacks, etc. I loved watching him make these things, and I enjoyed "helping" (often it was less than helpful, I'm sure). Years later, while I was in the US Air Force, I found out that a mentor of mine was also a saddler. When I mentioned my interest in leatherworking he began taking me to his shop and showing me the ropes. I enjoyed working with him, and with the leather, and I learned much over the next three years before deployments, and life, took me away to far and distant places.

I have an interest in two types of leatherworking primarily. First is Medieval and Celtic leatherworking, for use at SCA and Renaissance Festival events. I have no intention of making leather armor (cool stuff, but not my thing). Instead, I enjoy making more practical things; bags, pouches, belts, book covers, etc. I also enjoy drawing Celtic knotwork, and many of my bits of artwork are drawn for leatherworking projects. My second interest in leatherworking is for reenacting, be it Celtic/Viking (or possibly Roman) items, or American Civil War and Texas Frontier items. I am starting to learn how to do classic Western leatherwork tooling, and hope to be able to create pieces for SASS members as well (I have a few friends in the SASS who are kindly asking me to learn this, lol).

As of yet, I do not have a website. I have one under construction, though it will be at least a few weeks before it is up. I do have a Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/alfredleatherworks), a Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/1/113615960789211711186/posts), and a Twitter account (https://twitter.com/AlfredLworks). Once the website is up I'll post it here for y'all to take a look at.

Also, I thought I'd post a couple pictures of me, just for fun.

post-58128-0-74884200-1420181942_thumb.j

post-58128-0-06481900-1420182476_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum glad to have you join us

I also live in San Antonio,TX. look me up if I can help.

Hey nice to meet ya. Nice to see more satown folk.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hi Paul, met you in the chat room. Come on in again you never know what we will be discussing. Welcome to the site.

Hi Paul, met you in the chat room. Come on in again you never know what we will be discussing. Welcome to the site.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and for the conversation the other night. I'll try to pop in now and then to chat more, I really enjoyed it!