spongocoel

Resources For Learning About Machine Set Up And Repair

I'm fairly new to sewing, but jumped in with both feet and bought a Juki lu1508n. I would like to be able to maintain it myself, and I'd like to be able to buy used machines in the future and get them sorted out. I'm mechanically adept, but don't know where to start learning about sewing machines. Can anyone recommend any books, videos, etc. to help me start learning?

Here is a link to a DVD I've wondered about and would like to know if anybody has an opinion about the DVD.

http://www.canvastraining.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=452

Chapter 4 of the following manual might be helpful.

http://militarynewbie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/NAVEDTRA-14217-Aircrew-Survival-Equipmentman-1-C.pdf

Attached is a pdf of the 1508N Engineer's Manual.

LU-1500N Engineer's Manual.pdf

Edited by Tejas

Best thing to do is get the factory manual and go through all set settings on your machine. Practice sewing and learn how your machine operates. I don't know if there is a DVD or book that covers it all. Most good sewing machine repair men have years of experience. Thats what makes them good. There is no substitute for experience. That said, maybe you could find an experienced repair man that would teach you what he knows. Just an idea.

Edited by vpd66

There is a book "Compound Feed Walking Foot Machines" by Werner Schwartz who was with Consolidated Sewing as a technical director. It's not groundbreaking, but a lot of information in one book, worth a look for sure.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it.

I can't find the "Compound Feed Walking Foot Machines" book available anywhere, but maybe one day I'll come across a copy. In the meantime, Tejas' resources should get me started.

Buy a Singer 66 oscillating shuttle domestic machine. Pull it apart and learn to put it back together and time it.

By doing this you will learn the basics of timing and not be afraid to pull machines apart as you find that parts usually only go in one way. Yes, a few photographs help.

This is how I taught myself basic mechanics and now I do it for a living. If you get to the point where you can completely strip and rebuild a 31 class roller foot/roller fed machine and it works with no parts left over then you probably know more than the local guy who only services domestic machines :)

Buy a Singer 66 oscillating shuttle domestic machine. Pull it apart and learn to put it back together and time it.

A good resource for Singer 66, 99, 15K and 201 sewing machines is the TFSR Sewing Machine Manual.

http://www.tfsr.org/publications/technical_information/sewing_machine_manual/

Since this resource has been made available by what seems to be a worthy charitable organization, I think folks who use the resource should consider making a contribution. I have no affiliation.