Mark Moss

Difficulty With Snaps In Thick Leather.

Hello all

I am having difficulty with snaps in thick leather. I use a fair amount of 10/11 oz leather and often have a need to put snaps in. I have been unsuccessful in finding any line 22 or 24 brass snaps that have long enough post to do a good job. I have often had to skive the leather down to make them work, but this has been less than ideal. Does anyone know of a source for extra long brass snaps that I could use in 10/11 oz leather, or any other ideas? Thanks for everyone's help.

Mark

What length are you using now? WHen I need to put snaps in leather and don't have snaps with long enough shafts I use a forstner bit in my drill press. I use a bit just a hair larger then the slap base. I punch a hole as normal where i want the snap thenwith the leather flesh side up I line up the center point of the forstner bit with the center of the [punched hole. I gently lower the bit down on the leather making sure I have a good hold on the leather gently lower the bit into the leather monitoring the depth. Check the depth until you have enough room to use the snaps that you have.

Thanks for the reply. I am using line 24 snaps with a 5/16" post on both the caps and eyelet. It just doesn't leave enough post to peen over the snap pieces to make it as secure as it should be. I can not find any snaps that have post that are longer than 5/16" . I am trying to come up witha idea that will not make me have to to compress the leather around the snap or to skive it out. I have looked in all of my books, but I have been unable to find a solution. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you for the response and the links I took a look at them, unfortunately they are the size I am using.

I'd recommend calling them anyway. They may have other sizes they don't have on their website. I've ordered from them before and was very happy with their products and service.

is it practical to apply the snap to a thinner piece of leather and then stitch that piece of leather to the main piece you're working on?

I sent you a PM with links to longer ("long" and "extra long") post caps and eyelets.

25b Can you post a link here in the thread so I can also find out what company sells longer post caps and eyelets?

You can use a rivet to hold the cup part on if looks aren't a problem. Personally I skive out a round hole and let the cup sit on its first lip. I find it gives a closer fit for belts and heavy cases. Gump

Have you ever tried wetting the leather where you want to put the snap. I have done this on occasion and it did help a lot.

Hump, Steadybrook, and Itch.

Thank you for the replies, I was unaware of wetting the leather or using a rivet. I have read in several post about Ohio Travel Bag and their huge selection, I will stop procrastinating and contact them for a catalog. All good ideas.

Mark

I was having a similar problem, and was also led to Ohio Travel Bag. On their web site they have a couple of new items. Two line 24 snap caps with 7/16 inch posts! Due to shipping costs and the need for everything RIGHT NOW (just need to finish this holster) I did not place the order. Unfortunately there are only two options at this time, black oxide and nickel plating. Both, I believe are solid brass and about $0.75 for one piece.

Mark, and others this will help with the stud side in this situation, I don't have to ever use with canvas that thick yet but I can, so here follows.

I work with marine canvas and in most applications the stud part is on bottom on fiberglass or metals of all types with this part.

Most times this part is or should be flat on the bottom, now it doesn't have to be but if one uses a machine screw or a rivet let say.

The parts can be bought with what they call standard base or what you could use the "low or deep base" and this is the one that is flat.

What this does is offer you a 1/16" roughly of post height gain, so in short I can use the standard 3/8" post and the low base stud. 

This makes a perfect roll crimp assembled stud side through 20 layers of Top Gun canvas and it measures .325" and I believe that should work for 2, 10 oz layers of leather.  I used leather punch for the hole through all this then use my press-n-snap to crimp the assembly.

I use the DOT fasteners and here is a part number 93-BS-10379-1A this is a nickel over brass Low Base "Deep Stud", and what I use a lot on inland watercraft.

I have looked at Fastsnap many times as they have super good products also they show these different base options, I will say again I only use this low base on solid surfaces typically.

Hope this can give you an option in the future.

Floyd