Hello to all,

I posted in the show-off board already and forgot to stop in here to say hello, so here I am to say it. :-) I've been tooling leather as a hobbyist for about 3 years total strung over an eight year period. I've had a couple of moves that left me with little to no space to pursue the craft, but now I'm back into it. I mainly have focused on learning to tool veg tanned leathers, but I am also interested in getting into garments. I enjoy making my own things and participating in an art that is so rich in history and exemplary works.

I just hit the 50 year mark back in November 2014. I've enjoyed a career as a digital artist for twenty some years now but have always enjoyed my roots in classical materials such as oil paints and more recently acrylics and watercolors. Working in leather is, for me, among the most enjoyable mediums for artistic expression due in part to it's practical nature. I get to make beautiful things that don't just hang on a wall or sit on a hard disk. I have always loved learning new things and in this area of the arts of making, I have vast areas of unexplored territory. That fact excites me!

I live in a suburb of Portland Oregon with my wife of nearly 30 years, my adult daughter and her daughter (our granddaughter). Our adult son lives nearby and he and I collaborate on many projects related to his coffee business.

If you're still reading, thank you for being interested. I hope to get to know some of you going ahead and very much hope to learn more through the experience.

Edited by DavidKManuel

Welcome to the forum from the other coast!

Welcome. There are a handful of us on here from the Portland area. Please contact me if you have questions about the classes we have.

Aaron

What electrathon said. I'm next to the Holgate/Milwaukee ave intersection myself.

Horn

Thanks for the greetings. I might be interested in classes down the road when I have an opening. I like getting fresh perspectives on techniques and tool use as well as the creative synergy that happens in classes.