castor

Question About Buying Leather For Belts

Hi, I'm hoping somebody here could answer some of my questions. I'm interested in learning how to work leather and making belts but I'm not sure what leather to buy. I know it should be in the neighbourhood of 8-10 oz (for belts) but I'm not sure what cut I should buy (double shoulder?). If somebody could recommend a cut that would be great. I'm probably going to buy from tandy this time and I would prefer un-dyed. I'm also wondering how belts (1.5") I can expect to cut from the piece I buy. Thanks!

Edited by castor

You can make belts from a number of pieces. Research says the back is the best cut since it is long and the leather thickness is more consistent.
You can buy a side which includes a back (which includes a bend), a single shoulder and the belly. A double shoulder will produce a few belt before length becomes a problem.

post-36503-0-22026300-1420672644_thumb.g

post-36503-0-90100100-1420672644_thumb.j

You can make belts from a number of pieces. Research says the back is the best cut since it is long and the leather thickness is more consistent.

You can buy a side which includes a back (which includes a bend), a single shoulder and the belly. A double shoulder will produce a few belt before length becomes a problem.

Thanks for the reply! If I were to buy a side how many belts could I expect to get from it. I know there is variation in shape and size but I'm just curious how many belts (1.5") the average side would yield.

I don't buy sides for belts. The length just isn't very effective, unless you also make something that lets you use shorter pieces.. holsters, collars, etc. At somewhere between 6 - 7 feet long, they way long for one belt and too short for two. Still, nice to make the belt and holster from the same hide, so they match.

IDEALLY, bends would be the best leather (all else equal). But many belts have been made just fine from double shoulders.

To get to the point of your question...

Bend might run in the 11-12 foot range, and cut about 15-18 belts (1.5"). Figure the bend from a good size side is about 25-27" wide

Dbl SHoulder might run anywhere 10-15 feet. Find one a good 55-60" wide, good fer belts. Good size one might then be 24-34" across (shoulder to neck). Trim teh very bottom edge to straighten, and trim teh rough of the neck off, and a guy git maybe 15-18 belts (1.5" wide). Keep in mind with shoulders, the ends might be a bit thinner and less firm, but if you stay on the 60"-ish side you can trim that mostly.

Decent leather gonna run recently $9-10 per foot, so you lookin at (ballpark, dependin on size and shape of hides) prolly

$125 for double shoulders .......... figger 16 straps ..........so $8 ish per

$150 for bends (they'll charge more per foot) .... 16 straps .........$9.25 ish per

$200 for a side ............... 16 straps ..............$12 ish per .......... but youll have the belly and a single shoulder for whatever else you make...

This is the safe side. With a side, you might get 20 straps, or if you need 30-32" belts, you might get more out of one side.

Edited by JLSleather

Another option, . . . if you only want to do single layer belts, . . . watch for a Tandy flyer or sale, . . . buy their belt blanks.

Already cut, ready to tool.

May God bless,

Dwight

well the answer is also going to depend on WHERE you are selling them. My partner and I always bought sides (in Wichita ks) where we had a lot of call for 'big boy' belts. The largest I made was 96" strap cut to an 88" waist.

Can't get that out of a shoulder. I had a couple of customers in Nebraska and Iowa who also bought the biggest sides I had for the same reason. So basically, it helps to know your customer to know what to buy.

Cheers!