Hi all,

I'm just getting started in leatherwork and would like some advice. I have specific things that I want to learn to make in leatherwork and don't know which one to start with. My goal is to make all of the luggage for my family which will include duffles, backpacks, and briefcases as well as leather journals with wrap closures, and wallets. I will be needing the luggage in 3 months or so. Which piece would you advise that I start with and which to progress to next? Anything else you think I should know would be great to hear too!

Thanks,

Ben

You do not say if you have any experience at all, if yo have done anyt projects or what tools you currently have. I would reccomend starting with a wallet then the journal. It will give you an idea of the basics and if this is the way you want to go. You don't say how many pieces of luggage you will be making. It might be quite an undertaking to get them done in three months if you are doing this on the side. I would reccomend getting the Stohlman books on making cases. The patterns are dated however the techniques and information will be applicable to what you want to do. Search these forums for patterns for your duffles backpacks and so on. WIll you be machine stitching or hand stitching?

Thanks for the advice. I'll be hand stitching and I didn't post all the specifics because Im not sure of them yet. Just wanting to know out of those items what the best order of production would be. I think I'll do what you said and do wallet, journal, then nail down the specifics of what specific luggage I'll need. I'll inly need one duffle in 3 months (for a trip to Mexico for myself) and I'll work on the rest of the families after that. Thanks again!

Do you know how to hand stitch? What have you done so far? What tools do you already have?

The order of production should be small & simple to large and complex.

Make a few small wallets first.

If you've already done a few projects post a few pics so we can see where you stand.

Edited by thefanninator

Nope...don't know how to hand stitch yet. Just getting started to don't have any tools yet. I'm just getting started so these will be my first. Point taken about small to large. Thanks!

Learn to crawl first.

1) make a leather book mark (just cutting)

2) Make a coin purse. One piece of leather, folded once with 2 lines of stitching, and a attachment mechanism using push studs or a press stud on the closing flap.

you will not want to waste leather on large projects, there's too much too learn to get to what you want to do

Bennelson, since you have not done any leather work and have no tools I would suggest getting a kit or two from Tandy to start with. Although I don't particularly like tandy kits, all of the holes are pre punched and usually to larege. However it will give you a basic idea of how things go together and you can learn the basics of saddle stitching, using two needles and one piece of thread. THe reason for this is you will get an idea if this is the course you want to persue before you throw a lot of money into it. WHen you goto get the tools and leather you need to do your projects that you want to do you are going to have sticker shock. A side of veg tanned leather is going to be $200.00-$300.00, jus the basics for saddle stitching, overstitch wheel/stitch marker, stitch groover, and diamond awl will be $ 50.00 to $70.00+, you will also need needle and thread. If you go the pricking iron route you will easily spend a hundred dollars or more for a set of pricking irons. Take a look at some of the you tube videos by Ian Atkins and Niegel Armitage, also look at the free videos on the Tandy leathercraft library. They will give you an idea of what you are in for. Not trying to discourage you just trying to prepare you.

If you enjoy it and make good stuff, you can make back the money you spend pretty fast. If you don't enjoy it, you can sell the the tools on ebay.