pgivens

European Stitching Chisel From Goodsjapan

http://www.goodsjapan.com/european-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x3mm-1596-p.asp

Has anyone bought and tried these tools? It looks like it is made by Kyoshin Elle and it is their attempt to provide a pricking chisel. They are priced pretty reasonably compared with Dixon (and especially compared with Vergez Blanchard) but I'm a bit skeptical. The teeth look a bit thick to me.

I've never used pricking irons and I want to move in that direction but boy are they expensive!

I haven't used Goods Japan pricking irons, but here are a few comments that might be useful

I make mostly knife sheaths from 3 to 4mm leather, and use Tandy's Proline Diamond Stitching Chisel; 2 prong 4mm spacing. I am happy enough with the results, and a professional saddler said the spacing was OK. 2 prongs is a bit slow, but is OK as sheaths are small items and have curves; besides, this is a hobby, I don't have to earn my living from it.

Perhaps I'll get a 4- or 6 prong sometime

For thinner leather you'll need shorter stitches, so should use an iron with correspondingly narrower gaps between the prongs

I use my chisel straight out of the box, but soon I might dress/fettle/polish the prongs with a needle file or a very small strop homemade from a piece of fine abrasive paper ( say 800 to 1200 grit ) glued to a piece of stiff card or a sliver of wood.

The Proline chisels are reasonably priced at £10 to £15 each, but at the moment Tandy have a limited range available. There are no plans to discontinue them, but they are having difficulties with their supplier. They have another range available, the Fine Diamond, but that is more expensive.

There are a lot of video clips about leather on YouTube, including the use of pricking irons. Nigel Armitage's videos are good, look for 'Help With Making Holes' by Armitage Leather

There are several clips from Goods Japan, both for irons and other techniques, but I haven't watched them all. Put 'Pricking Irons' into YouTube's search box

If you haven't already got one, you will need a soft hammer of some kind on a pricking iron

Be careful what you get. Chisels with flat prongs are intended for thonging & lacing. For hand stitching you want those with angled, diamond shaped cross section prongs.

Thanks for the response zuludog. I guess I should have been more explicit. I have been hand stitching for as long as I have been in this hobby (a couple years now) using various methods. I mainly use the diamond chisels from Tandy that I originally started with (I have the 5SPI set as well as one of the new "fine" diamond chisels that runs 7SPI). I have also experimented with using an overstitch wheel and piercing manually with an awl. I much prefer the workflow of using the diamond chisels, but in my quest to take my stitching to the next level I have started thinking that I need to use a pricking iron.

In this case, I'm not using pricking iron as a generic term. I am differentiating between pricking irons--which make a very thin / / / / / shaped mark meant to be followed with an awl--and diamond chisels, which make a larger diamond shaped hole and can be driven all the way through the leather. I think for really elegant looking stitching that exaggerates the slanted pattern I need to start using a pricking iron. I just don't want to spend $280 on a set from Vergez Blanchard. This is the only decent looking substitute at a reasonable price point I have seen. I think they are pretty new, so I wouldn't be surprised if no one has used them, but here's hoping...

Hope you get a response as I have been looking at these free shipping is a plus also.

I'm kind of thinking about just pulling the trigger and if they are too thick maybe taking them somewhere to be filed down a bit thinner. Kyoshin Elle is a reputable manufacturer so I figure at least the steel will be decent.

I have just bought one of these http://www.goodsjapan.com/european-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x3mm-1596-p.asp%C2'> and also the 2 prong one.

I have only just sewn 2 pieces of leather together to try them out. The holes are not thick, in fact they can be a little tight which can be a good thing.

They seem quite good to me though

I have just bought one of these and also the 2 prong one.

I have only just sewn 2 pieces of leather together to try them out. The holes are not thick, in fact they can be a little tight which can be a good thing.

They seem quite good to me though

That's great. Would you be able to post a picture of the stitching you did?

The stitching is a bit rough, so are the pics but I was just trying it out.

post-12793-0-55172700-1420878128_thumb.j

post-12793-0-13489700-1420878159_thumb.j

SPI is the same as the one in your link 8.5.

The thread is .6mm

SPI is the same as the one in your link 8.5.

The thread is .6mm

Can you comment on how sharp they are? Did you have to sharpen them at all?

Thanks!

I would not call them sharp, and they don't really need it as can be seen in the pic

http://www.goodsjapan.com/european-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x3mm-1596-p.asp

Has anyone bought and tried these tools? It looks like it is made by Kyoshin Elle and it is their attempt to provide a pricking chisel. They are priced pretty reasonably compared with Dixon (and especially compared with Vergez Blanchard) but I'm a bit skeptical. The teeth look a bit thick to me.

I've never used pricking irons and I want to move in that direction but boy are they expensive!

Not wanting to skip ahead too much on these as they are included in a pricking iron review i'm doing and i dont want to steal my own thunder but i have just received a set from Goods Japan today.

They are the 2.5mm 6 tooth and 2 tooth irons.

this gives me about 8 stitches per inch.

I have been speaking to a supplier in Norway and a couple of other chaps who aren't happy with these. they are too soft and bend.

Now... Dixon irons bend, they are not tooling steel or hardened, and neither are these. they are stainless and i think better made than Dixons.

I have just done a row of stitching with 0.6mm Bonded Polyester Tiger Thread and am amazed at the result.

They do look like a direct copy of the Blanchard Irons in shape and size which is by the by.

I am no expert on metals and steel, but I think stainless is better than mild so that's a win.

the proof is in the pudding... have a look at the image. These irons produce stitching as good as Dixons or Blanchard irons for a fraction of the price.

Now, i have only had these irons for a day, but so far I am impressed with how well they are performing.

3463eef8-b678-4226-beb8-20f3c2c04a85.jpg

Nige

Edited by Dangerous Beans

Cheers Nigel just had a look at these on Goods Japan if i'm reading it correct it says the 2.5mm gives 10.2 stitches per inch so i'm a bit confused , seems to be a difference between what Nigel's getting and Goods Japan's description .

here's the link . http://goodsjapan.com/european-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x25mm-1595-p.asp

Cheers Nigel just had a look at these on Goods Japan if i'm reading it correct it says the 2.5mm gives 10.2 stitches per inch so i'm a bit confused , seems to be a difference between what Nigel's getting and Goods Japan's description .

here's the link . http://goodsjapan.com/european-leather-stitching-chisel-leathercraft-pricking-iron-tool-6x25mm-1595-p.asp

It actually says 10.2 holes per inch, which should equate to 9 stitches per inch. I am curious though if Nigel was just estimating or if GoodsJapan has their measurements off.

Thanks pgivens that clears things up a bit i would be happy with 8 or 9 stitches per inch , i think i will have to order some thinner thread though maybe 0.8 Tiger would be too thick might get some 0.6 like Nigel is using . Cheers

@Nigel, thanks for the pic!

I don't suppose you tested out the Chinese European style irons that can be had on eBay?

Hi Jan C I have tested quite a few irons.

Tandy, Dixon, Osborne, Craft-Sha, Pro-Line (the name may be wrong as this is popular on eBay), Seiwa, Kyoshin and Blanchard. These are the most readily available irons today.

If you can think of any i have missed, let me know.

Nige

You are quite right, the 6 x 2.5 is not 8spi it actually gives 9spi. This is measured with a ruler rather than working off the measurements on the packet. the size of the teeth and the distance make a difference.

Having measured 9 stitches with the vernier, it shows 24.3mm with 0.6mm tiger thread so 9 is as near as damn it!

I have so many irons here at the moment and I haven't catalogued this one yet as it had just arrived... i get confused easily :-)

Once the video is done, you can download the review document from the shop on my website. it's free! and it may help in making a decision about which iron would suit you.

KyoshinIron.jpg

Edited by Dangerous Beans

It actually says 10.2 holes per inch, which should equate to 9 stitches per inch. I am curious though if Nigel was just estimating or if GoodsJapan has their measurements off.

It's me!!!! I'm wong!!!! I made something up... which is unlike me!!! not.

Sorry.

Don't beat yourself up Nigel you especially are allowed one hiccup given all the help and advise you impart on us mere mortals , Cheers for the photos , i'm in the position of having one Dixon pricking iron 7 SPI and have been toying with idea of buying the 2 teeth iron for going round corners , but i could buy the Goods Japan set for less than the single Dixon , now i know there of no worse a quality than the Dixon it's a no brainer ,

Don't beat yourself up Nigel you especially are allowed one hiccup given all the help and advise you impart on us mere mortals , Cheers for the photos , i'm in the position of having one Dixon pricking iron 7 SPI and have been toying with idea of buying the 2 teeth iron for going round corners , but i could buy the Goods Japan set for less than the single Dixon , now i know there of no worse a quality than the Dixon it's a no brainer ,

But the difficulty is my record stands at about 1 hickup and hour... I was thinking of running a wheres the hickup competition for each video, but i couldn't afford the prizes :head_hurts_kr:

It is a no brainer... I have used Dixon irons for years and they do do the job, that has to be said. but the steel isn't strong, the two tooth irons, certainly in the slimline versions can bend and the finished quality leaves something to be desired.

I am quite taken with the Kyoshin European irons... I will add that the polished finish you see in the photo above is how they come. They do not stick in the leather like Dixons irons can, even when tapped gently.

I haven't had them long, I haven't been using them years like I have the Dixons, so this opinion is very much here and now, but... if you had a full set of the Kyoshin Elle irons, I do not think you would be disappointed.

I will also add that Goods Japan have excellent customer service.

For the price to quality ratio... at this time... a winner.

Nige

1 Hickup an hour that's chronic you need to see a Leather Doctor .