I was just wondering what everyones favorite edge bevelers are, and also what you use for thinner leather (3/4 or 4/5 oz). I have used the tandy edge beveler #2 as thats the smallest size it comes in, keen edge beveler which I rarely use, and their new craftool pro classic edger size #00 and fine edger. I use the #2 edge beveler the most, as it seems to cut smother and is a lot easier to control than the new pro classic edgers. I got the new #00 for thinner leather, but I hate the design, it is a lot harder to keep it at a consistent angle, and seems to cut about as much off as the #2 edge beveler. I wish Tandy sold their edge beveler smaller than a #2, as that would probably work better with thinner leather. The #2 has a really hard time with 4/5 oz and smaller.

I can use the #2 on 4/5 oz if i put another piece of leather underneath, but it cuts off too much of the edge, and by the time I go to burnish, the edge is too thin and ends up folding over, and looking like garbage. Ideally, I would want to cut off as little as possible, so the edge isn't extremely round, more flat. But when I have tried that, the edge still folds over slightly on front and back, and doesn't look good. Does anyone have a method for getting a more flat (slightly rounded) edge, without the leather folding over?

I am open to using another brand beveler, I would just like to hear everyones favorites first!

Thanks!

Zayne

I have Barry King edge bevelers. They are as are most of Barry's tools excellent. They cost a little more but the quality and the cuts you get are well worth the money. Barry's smallest will cut the edge off of the thinnest leather I ever saw. Highly recommend all of Barry's tools. I used Tandy's for years, some SLC after that, but comparing them to Barry's is like comparing a Yugo to a Rolls Royce. They cut clean, uniform and effortlessly. Easy to maintain and keep sharp as well.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

As Chief31794 said, Barry Kings tools are great tools. I have a mix of edgers from different makers ( Barry King, Jeremiah Watts Horeshoe Brand, Rons Tools, Weaver Leather, old Osbornes and Gomphs) Out of all of the edgers I own Ron's Tools are my favorite, but they are a little higher in the cost bracket. The edgers I seem to use the most are my set of Weaver edgers, they are in the middle of the road for price and are extremely well made and have never failed me. Weaver also sells a strop board set up that is a must for keeping them sharp.

For the work that I do a Tandy number 3 is OK

Put 'edge beveller' into YouTube's search box and there are several clips; this one is especially interesting

'How to sharpen an edge beveller' by lbcustom knives

I have Barry King edge bevelers. They are as are most of Barry's tools excellent. They cost a little more but the quality and the cuts you get are well worth the money. Barry's smallest will cut the edge off of the thinnest leather I ever saw. Highly recommend all of Barry's tools. I used Tandy's for years, some SLC after that, but comparing them to Barry's is like comparing a Yugo to a Rolls Royce. They cut clean, uniform and effortlessly. Easy to maintain and keep sharp as well.

Chief

As Chief31794 said, Barry Kings tools are great tools. I have a mix of edgers from different makers ( Barry King, Jeremiah Watts Horeshoe Brand, Rons Tools, Weaver Leather, old Osbornes and Gomphs) Out of all of the edgers I own Ron's Tools are my favorite, but they are a little higher in the cost bracket. The edgers I seem to use the most are my set of Weaver edgers, they are in the middle of the road for price and are extremely well made and have never failed me. Weaver also sells a strop board set up that is a must for keeping them sharp.

I think I am going to purchase a beveler from Weaver for now, as they are the lowest price, and seem like good quality. I think I will have to try Barry King if the Weaver edger doesn't work out.

As far as the Weaver beveler goes, does it leave any tracks on the surface of the leather like the tandy one does? And are they easy to keep at a consistent angle?

Thanks!

Zayne

Hello Zayne, and others-----

Have any of you had the opportunity to try the new Pro Series edgers offered by Tandy?

Took a chance and now must say that they are a vast improvement over others I have in the shop. Extremely sharp, stainless blade, comfortable handles and different sizes are available from extra fine, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Pleased that I gave them a shot as always seeking something new to try.

Just thought I would pass this on as price was also very reasonable. Also purchased a 10-12 oz side of veg-tan that is very nice and at $119.00 I feel it was worth the expense, whether imported or not.

Now to get myself in the shop, when weather returns to normal, and think of something to do. lol. Never enough time to do all the ideas but great fun attempting.

God Bless you all.

Ray