Dozen

Carnauba Cream To Waterproof My Expensive Boots

I have a pair of hiking / snow boots that are supposed to be water proof, but i still spray them with a waterproofing solution each time i go on a snow holiday. Ive not got enough left to do them again for this trip, but i have a big bottle of carnauba cream / creme.

Is this recommended to apply to give them a extra level of waterproofing.

I know it will darken then (its a medium tan / brown) but im ok with that.

Any problems with with doing this?

I doubt you will get much waterproofing out of carnauba cream. I would look at something like sno seal if you want more waterproofing protection.

There's a pretty decent video on youtube by Ian Atkinson that shows side by side weatherproofing ability of different finishes and sealants. It's obviously not exhaustive since there are far too many products available for that, but it may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Hope that helps

Bill

I've been an Obenauf's fan for a few decades now...   I 've been using the stuff on my thirty year old Maine Hunting shoes from LL Bean for close to thirty years ...   I use it on all my Wesco boots... a pair of Jobmasters  that are fifteen years old and worn six days a week, and second pair of Jobmasters  I wear for Motorcycle riding...   I have a thirty year old  pair of Sidi Motocross boots that get the Obenauf's treatment as well...      All my work gloves, my motorcycle   gloves and my leather military gloves get the treatment, and my Vanson and Fox Creek Leather motorcycle jackets and Chaps get the treatment too....   I like to use leather laces in my work and riding boots.... I regularly treat them with the Obenauf's  LP....   I've even used the stuff to moisturize my lips on a long cold Motorcycle run up to Laconia...

I use the Heavy Duty LP paste  the first time I treat any of my leather...    Clean with a little  diluted vinegar if the leather is moldy or really dirty, 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar in 16 oz tap water is a good starting point...   let the leather dry and rub the LP paste in by hand...  give it a second coat if the leather is older and shows signs of being extremely dry...   I use the Leather Oil for touch ups in between yearly rub downs...   

Link:     www.obenaufs.com

Hoorah!

I use kiwi conditioning oil/grease. It made my work boots water proof up the 2nd row of laces for at least a couple months. Putting up with plumbing and heating work that says something about that stuff. They are suede and not smooth/polished so that's even more impressive. But they are also really well made military boots meant to endure any condition so yours might not fair as well if they are designed to be breathable for hiking.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:28 PM, rockett88s said:

I've been an Obenauf's fan for a few decades now...   I 've been using the stuff on my thirty year old Maine Hunting shoes from LL Bean for close to thirty years ...   I use it on all my Wesco boots... a pair of Jobmasters  that are fifteen years old and worn six days a week, and second pair of Jobmasters  I wear for Motorcycle riding...   I have a thirty year old  pair of Sidi Motocross boots that get the Obenauf's treatment as well...      All my work gloves, my motorcycle   gloves and my leather military gloves get the treatment, and my Vanson and Fox Creek Leather motorcycle jackets and Chaps get the treatment too....   I like to use leather laces in my work and riding boots.... I regularly treat them with the Obenauf's  LP....   I've even used the stuff to moisturize my lips on a long cold Motorcycle run up to Laconia...

I use the Heavy Duty LP paste  the first time I treat any of my leather...    Clean with a little  diluted vinegar if the leather is moldy or really dirty, 2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar in 16 oz tap water is a good starting point...   let the leather dry and rub the LP paste in by hand...  give it a second coat if the leather is older and shows signs of being extremely dry...   I use the Leather Oil for touch ups in between yearly rub downs...   

Link:     www.obenaufs.com

Hoorah!

This is awesome stuff - have used it for 18 years on a number of different things from high end boots to leather bags and straps. 

a little bit too expensive for  beeswax and honey...

https://www.adventuresworn.com/blogs/news/a-look-at-obenaufs-heavy-duty-lp

Edited by paloma

3 hours ago, paloma said:

a little bit too expensive for  beeswax and honey...

https://www.adventuresworn.com/blogs/news/a-look-at-obenaufs-heavy-duty-lp

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. Having worked with leather for some time now I think you get your money's worth with Obenauf's. I've used it for a long time and have always been satisfied. A few years back there was a gentleman on this forum, his name was Ray, don't remember his user name. Anyway he did product testing and over the years amassed about every leather preservative out there. When he decided to call it quits and retire I bought a bunch of these products from him.

Long story short. There where a few other products that passed a short term waterproofing test as good as Obenaufs but none that lasted as long. None that even came close to standing up to heat. An example is a product I make to protect a riders inner legs from the heat of a motorcycle engine. I tired Aussie, Belvoirs, Pecards,  Bee Natural's, Effax, Nick's and probably a dozen more I can't remember. 90% of them would seep back out of the leather and burn and blister the surface under the heat of the engine in the first week. The other 10% in the first month. I never even knew this was a possibility as I had always used Obenauf's as it was suggested by a mentor.

Anyway, I buy it by the gallon bucket and use it on pretty much anything I make that will see a lot of out door use. A little goes a long way...and for the record if you read up on it on their website you will find it's more than beeswax and honey. Anyway, I'm starting to sound like an infomercial...

10 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Everyone is welcome to their opinion. Having worked with leather for some time now I think you get your money's worth with Obenauf's. I've used it for a long time and have always been satisfied. A few years back there was a gentleman on this forum, his name was Ray, don't remember his user name. Anyway he did product testing and over the years amassed about every leather preservative out there. When he decided to call it quits and retire I bought a bunch of these products from him.

Long story short. There where a few other products that passed a short term waterproofing test as good as Obenaufs but none that lasted as long. None that even came close to standing up to heat. An example is a product I make to protect a riders inner legs from the heat of a motorcycle engine. I tired Aussie, Belvoirs, Pecards,  Bee Natural's, Effax, Nick's and probably a dozen more I can't remember. 90% of them would seep back out of the leather and burn and blister the surface under the heat of the engine in the first week. The other 10% in the first month. I never even knew this was a possibility as I had always used Obenauf's as it was suggested by a mentor.

Anyway, I buy it by the gallon bucket and use it on pretty much anything I make that will see a lot of out door use. A little goes a long way...and for the record if you read up on it on their website you will find it's more than beeswax and honey. Anyway, I'm starting to sound like an infomercial...

dear Mark,

yes, exact everyone has his opinion and i give mine,

now,everyone is free to believe what they want to believe

Edited by paloma

On 5/9/2019 at 12:45 AM, paloma said:

yes, exact everyone has his opinion and i give mine,

now,everyone is free to believe what they want to believe

Yep. I notice though that while your willing to put down others recommendations, you do not recommend any product. What do you use?

You're right, I did it wrong.

the product you are talking about is maybe very very good  there is not the question,i just want to said that, with a very good marketing work it's possible to do anything.

I use very basic products on my leathers, bees wax and beef foot oil ,this for every days traitements. For finishing a work i love to use carnuba wax it's shine and it's protect it's a very very old product too.

I don't want to be unpleasant, it's just that I'm pretty whole in the way I express myself.

And whenif I need to have an anti-fungicide and anti-bacterial action i use this....

Never forget,it's the customer who paid for nice boxes and marketing/advertising...

flo2.jpg

flo1.jpg

Edited by paloma

8 hours ago, paloma said:

You're right, I did it wrong.

the product you are talking about is maybe very very good  there is not the question,i just want to said that, with a very good marketing work it's possible to do anything.

I use very basic products on my leathers, bees wax and beef foot oil ,this for every days traitements. For finishing a work i love to use carnuba wax it's shine and it's protect it's a very very old product too.

I don't want to be unpleasant, it's just that I'm pretty whole in the way I express myself.

And whenif I need to have an anti-fungicide and anti-bacterial action i use this....

Never forget,it's the customer who paid for nice boxes and marketing/advertising...

flo2.jpg

flo1.jpg

I meant to say; neastfoot oil. ( sorry i have some problem to find the right word in English)

As the OP asked his question over 4 years ago I reckon he got the waterproofing done

But just to point out; there is a vast difference between canauba wax and carnauba cream. The cream is water soluble so will not waterproof for very long. Carnauba wax is very hard and will, if melted into the leather, waterproof [aka make it water resistant] for a some time. Usually carnauba wax is mixed with beeswax to lower its melting temperature and its hardness. A carnauba/beeswax mix is easier to apply and will last just as long.

@paloma : do not worry about getting the right words or language. This forum has members from all over the world and most of us on here allow for the fact that not everyone has 'English' as a first language. I also allow that sometimes what someone writes on the forum comes across not how they meant it to sound.

I put this through google translate twice;  ne vous inquiétez pas pour obtenir les bons mots ou la bonne langue. Ce forum a des membres du monde entier et la plupart d'entre nous comprenons que tout le monde n'a pas l'anglais comme première langue. Je permets également que, parfois, ce que quelqu'un écrit sur le forum ne soit pas ce qu'il voulait dire.

12 minutes ago, fredk said:

As the OP asked his question over 4 years ago I reckon he got the waterproofing done

But just to point out; there is a vast difference between canauba wax and carnauba cream. The cream is water soluble so will not waterproof for very long. Carnauba wax is very hard and will, if melted into the leather, waterproof [aka make it water resistant] for a some time. Usually carnauba wax is mixed with beeswax to lower its melting temperature and its hardness. A carnauba/beeswax mix is easier to apply and will last just as long.

@paloma : do not worry about getting the right words or language. This forum has members from all over the world and most of us on here allow for the fact that not everyone has 'English' as a first language. I also allow that sometimes what someone writes on the forum comes across not how they meant it to sound.

I put this through google translate twice;  ne vous inquiétez pas pour obtenir les bons mots ou la bonne langue. Ce forum a des membres du monde entier et la plupart d'entre nous comprenons que tout le monde n'a pas l'anglais comme première langue. Je permets également que, parfois, ce que quelqu'un écrit sur le forum ne soit pas ce qu'il voulait dire.

Everything is true, you talk like a book..

Beware of Google translate :)
It is usually not accurate enough to correctly translate the "nuance"..

If I may rephrase Fredk's post, to explain what I mean .
Méfiez-vous de Google traduire :)
Il n'est généralement pas assez précis pour traduire correctement la "nuance"...

Si je peux reformuler le message de Fredk, pour expliquer ce que je veux dire
Don't worry about finding the precise words or the correct tone. This forum has members from all over the world and most of us here today take into account the fact that not everyone has "English" as their mother tongue. I also know that sometimes what someone writes on the forum does not always convey exactly the nuance they would have liked.
Ne vous inquiétez pas de trouver les mots précis ou le ton correct. Ce forum a des membres du monde entier et la plupart d'entre nous ici aujourd'hui tiennent compte du fait que tout le monde n'a pas l'"anglais" comme langue maternelle. Je sais aussi que parfois ce que quelqu'un écrit sur le forum ne transmet pas toujours exactement la nuance qu'il aurait aimé.
Your reply was
Votre réponse a été
Everything is true, you talk like a book..
Tout est vrai, tu parles comme un livre...
Made me smile. :)
M'a fait sourire. :)
Don't worry..
Ne t'inquiète pas.

None of that was translated by Google.
Rien de tout cela n'a été traduit par Google

Excusez mes fautes d'ortho

Sometimes, it scratches your eyes!*
Parfois, ça écorche les yeux !
In English that phrase is strange..in French it works
En anglais, cette expression est étrange... en français, ça marche...
We use English here , so that everyone understands, even if English is not their first language.
Nous utilisons l'anglais ici, pour que tout le monde comprenne, même si l'anglais n'est pas sa langue maternelle.
French is not my first language.
Le français n'est pas ma langue maternelle.

Edited by mikesc

merci pour ces encouragements à écrire avec des fautes!:lol:

Edited by paloma

MDR :)

Edited by mikesc