MonicaJacobson

Favorite Lining Leather

What's your favorite lining leather? I've heard people use calf, but I've only ever used pig. Any ideas? Any favorites?

The only thing that I have used is veg tanned pig. Works good most of the time...some times it will come out a different shade, than the main leather...that's the only problem I've had with it.

Edited by Troy I

I have used pig on a couple of clutch purses and it handled and glued well, but I didn't like it. It didn't match the primary side well. Too different for my taste. I have just changed to using 2 oz veg tan and finish similar to the front or soon to be tried in a contrast. I like it's more natural similar look.

I've used suede pig from Springfield and French split goat from Talas. Goat is awesome but not cheap. Talas has calf too but it's even more.

Thanks guys, yeah, how do you afford to line something with something pretty expensive? Don't you have to charge 600 - 700 per piece to make it worthwhile? Is that just part of getting to the next price tier?

@Troy - I bought some veg tanned pig from Springfield, and I liked it fine, but I didn't like how it looked dyed and resolened. Suddenly you could see the hair follicles in a not very pleasant way.

@Allan - That's a great idea. I might try that. It'd be useful for wallet pockets, too. I didn't really like using pig for wallet pockets - too crispy and dry.

Monica...I must have lucked out...I purchased 12 sq ft from Springfield and the look was fine, but like you said it is difficult to dye, using lighter colors.

It did look very good with Aussie Leather Conditioner after it was buffed out.

As for the price...pig is about the least expensive I can find. For my holsters I usually up the price by $30 to cover the lining and additional work that goes into it, but I'm just a hobbyist and not in this to make a living, I just like to cover my cost and get a little pocket money.

Edited by Troy I

Thanks guys, yeah, how do you afford to line something with something pretty expensive? Don't you have to charge 600 - 700 per piece to make it worthwhile? Is that just part of getting to the next price tier?

The goatskin I bought from Talas was 6.4 sq ft @ $13.10 psf. - just under $100 after shipping. Honestly I probably bought it too soon and ended up wasting some and I gave away a couple of the pieces I used it for to my niece.

I ordered some Sokoto Goatskin from Siegals. I'll see how it compares to the goat from Talas. Those are the only two places in the US that I know of that have very nice, very thin stuff for lining.

I want to get to a higher level of quality and value with my work, so yes, I would charge more.

I've also used the black stiff (calf?) stuff that Tandy sells. I would only suggest it for learning.

You might look at the Shrut & Asch kidskin that Springfield sells. I had some and it's nice stuff - not expensive but it isn't thin enough so a splitter may be necessary.

@Troy - I tried dying my pigskin with brown mixed with red, and while it worked really well on normal veg tanned, it was basically just red on the lining. Very interesting. But I love using it undyed. I, too, am just a hobbyist, a luxury I want to take advantage of. A lot of people have to make business savvy choices like cutting corners and time saving designs because they need the sales.

@Chris - Yikes, that's the same price as Horween leather straight from Tannery Row. But yes, at some point, you start putting $200 - 350 just into materials on the the mid-range stuff (and by that, I mean 700 - 800). I want to get there, but I'm not sure how to start charging that much, or investing that much in each bag without knowing if or when it will sell.

I'll look into the Shrut & Asch. I don't have a splitter, so I'll probably have to go another route, but it's good to have your review. I'll be interested to see what you end up making with the Skokoto Goatskin. Sounds cool.

I don't always line but when I do it's usually veg. tan leather. Actually it's more like double layer glued and stitched back to back. Sometimes it's 7 ounce lined with 5 ounce or 5 ounce with 5 ounce or 2 layers of 9 ounce etc. Depends on what I'm making.

Snubby, I'm torn. You guys gave so many good options. I'd like to do the kidskin, but it's a little out of my price range at the moment. And the pigskin on Springfield is supposedly spotty (so it says on the website). So I'm leaning heavily towards the 2-3 oz. veg tanned. At least I know it'll burnish.

I've only done a few linings, but had good luck with pig. I haven't attempted dying it, just bought it in the color I was planning to use. Curious about kidskin though.

the pigskin on Springfield is supposedly spotty (so it says on the website).

The one piece I got was, I would rather pick it out if I could. its about 50% usable. Haven't used it yet so I can't speak for finished color/dyeing/burnishing.

Yeah, the piece I got back in July was only 50% usable, as well. I think I can squeeze some small things in between the holes and bad spots, but I would have preferred more usable space. But Springfield is cool because they at least tell you what it really is.

Here's my rather disastrous dye attempt - mahogany on the outside, scarlet on the inside. Same dye!post-38542-0-28576300-1421180572_thumb.j

mahogany on the outside, scarlet on the inside.

I like it!

It looks nice...I like the contrast in color.

Thanks, guys. I didn't mind the color so much, but the resolened skin is a little weird. Shiny. I like it a lot better like Troy said, undyed and with Aussie conditioner. Unfortunately, that hide was so horrible I basically had to dye it. I ended up buying 2-3 oz. veg tanned. Hopefully it's not way too thick.

I've been thinkin' (happens every once in a while) that maybe milled veg tan'd work as a lining leather. It's buttery soft. I make simple little soft sided pouches that sell well at area fairs and festivals with it.

I was thinkin' (again?) of trying to use it to line a holster but was advised against it. It could hold moisture or grit that'd be detrimental on a hand guns finish.

But maybe it'd work for lining other stuff.