Crystal

Another Album Cover

Stunning work! That is really really nice. Not an artistic bone in my body so i think i will probably stick to braiding for now and leave the carving to the experts!

Re: thief knot vs reef knot. I think i remember reading somewhere (probably the Ashley book of knots) that sailors used the thief knot to detect if someone had been in thier bag. The thief would usually do his work in the dark and would think the knot used was a reef knot and therefore re-tie it as such.

On a reef the the short working ends leave the knot on the same side.... the thief knot's short working ends would leave the knot above the stnading end on one side and below the standing end on the other. (see pic below)

Not sure if that helps or makes any sense.. but hey ho!

enjoy!

Thanks, Merrik!

The history and the explaination along with the pics was helpful. This is turning into an interesting subject.

Now you and 8thsinner have me pondering things to do with knots other than cuss at them when I end up getting them in my thread. Appreciate the extra info!

Crystal

Wow! That is absolutely stunning. I just keep staring at it. I really appreciate floral work that steps a bit outside of the traditional style. Well done!

I'm going to hunt down that backgrounder. It's perfect! What's the ID on it?

Thanks for the kudos, Schno! I got this backgrounder at the IFoLG show from Barry King. Oh my, all the pretty tools. I looked at his catalog and it is the size 1 Checkered Teardrop Backgrounder. Now - he lists in the catalog a medium and a fine... I don't know which this is. I only got one backgrounder and I was looking for overall size (wanted small) and I don't think I even noticed there were 2 grades on the checks. If I were to guess, I would say that I have the medium check. Oh- I love his bevelers, also. They have a very nice steep slope and do very well in tight spots. (I used all smooth bevelers.)

Crystal

We seem to be verging away from your showing off, so this is the last thing I say on the topic of knots.

When it comes to knot and braiding talk, you will often come across the term ABOK followed by a number, This is a reference to one of the most comprehensive knot books ever written.

Ashley book of knots.

If your developing an interest in knots you can always buy any old knot book, But ashley's is the vade mecum of them, and if your interest developed you would eventually end up getting this book I am sure, so really buying the cheaper and smaller ones becomes a waste of money.

Anyway heres a couple of links if your interested.

Book

http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Book-Knots-Cl...591&sr=8-10

CD

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ashley-Book-Of-Knots-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

I had never heard of the cd before, But it makes it easier to carry around. It's a heavy book.

Sorry again to take the topic in a different direction.

We seem to be verging away from your showing off, so this is the last thing I say on the topic of knots.When it comes to knot and braiding talk, you will often come across the term ABOK followed by a number, This is a reference to one of the most comprehensive knot books ever written.Ashley book of knots.If your developing an interest in knots you can always buy any old knot book, But ashley's is the vade mecum of them, and if your interest developed you would eventually end up getting this book I am sure, so really buying the cheaper and smaller ones becomes a waste of money.Anyway heres a couple of links if your interested.Bookhttp://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Book-Knots-Cl...591&sr=8-10CDhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Ashley-Book-Of-Knots-A...1QQcmdZViewItemI had never heard of the cd before, But it makes it easier to carry around. It's a heavy book.Sorry again to take the topic in a different direction.
No apologies necessary! I learned what a thief knot and a reef are - never knew there were such things! Thanks so much for the links!Crystal
Elegant !!!!!!
Thanks so much, Linda!Crystal

Beautiful work as always. They must be sooooo happy with it despite the timing.