Vinny

Stohlman Flat Head Maul

I received this as a gift for Christmas. Is this a solid tool or should I exchange ? I don't really have the opportunity to try different ones out. Just want to buy a solid one as my cheap starter mallet has run its course.. It will mainly be used for tooling and letter stamps.

In my humble opinion the Stohlman Flat maul is a pretty decent upgrade compared to any starter mallet. If your looking to exchange for another style I recommend The Stohlman round 1 lbs maul, its roughly the same price and weight. My only complaint/concern about the flat head (through my own experience) Is that the nut at the bottom can loosen and be a pain. Altho it could have been a defect in that particular maul. Best of luck. Keep Tooling!

Edited by WanderingAoki

Thanks for the tip.. I've read on here a few people endorse the Barry king mauls..these are half the price of the Stohlman. Wonder if anyone has owned both.

From what I've heard about Barry's Mauls, they are exceptional. I know acouple of guys that own one. I'm thinking of ordering one myself. That or a BearMaul by Ed Labarre.

I have several of Barry king tools and the quality is excellent, highly recommended by this old biker...

I have a Barry King round maul and a Stohlman round maul. Personally I much, much prefer the Stohlman. It's just a personal thing as far as feel and hand fitment go. If you distill it down to the basics, all it is is a heavy thing you hold in your hand and beat on stuff with. Each person has to choose for themselves as far as what suits them best. Don't let brand name figure into your decision, only functionality to your usage.