Diddy

Best Way To Align Letter Stamps?

I would like to know what is the best way to align letter stamps for lettering and also to make sure pressure is even. Is there a press to use? What do you do to make sure your lettering is precise?

For example, I would like to stamp names and addresses, phone numbers, and quotes on luggage tags.

Thank you for your input on this. I really appreciate it!

You might take a look at these threads on homemade jigs that people have put together. There's probably more but these were the first couple interesting ones I spotted in a quick search.

Up Dated Jig for Belt Stamping by mike6642

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60015

Letter Stamp Jig by JoeSnuffie

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53629

Thank you. I'll definitely take a look at those threads. I knew there had to be something to use. I was getting so frustrated trying to do it one letter at a time.

I think you are asking for trouble. What I use for complex lettering is a laser printer. I layout the text in Photoshop in reverse, print on standard paper then place on the leather and saturate with acetone. I then use my bone creaser to transfer the lettering to the leather. Then I seal and it's good to go.

If you are looking to stamp complex text, you WILL, at some point, screw it up and ruin all your work. A name of 5 - 10 characters is fine, I use a 2 ton arbor press. The Tandy letters are self aligning and I use a triangle to make sure the alignment is ok.

Cya!

Bob

Use lead printing type. Fast easy and perfectly straight. Relatively cheap to get a full set-up too. You can get a few sets and can print in almost any size or amount of text. You need to press it in, not pound on it or you will damage the type.

post-2349-0-75514800-1421213246_thumb.jp

Just a tip if you use a printer for patterns, especially a laser, and especially if it's on transparency paper: Don't put the printed side against the leather. You'll get transfer onto your piece. I always take a pen or something and write a word or whatnot on the printed side, so I can tell which is which.

Just a tip if you use a printer for patterns, especially a laser, and especially if it's on transparency paper: Don't put the printed side against the leather. You'll get transfer onto your piece. I always take a pen or something and write a word or whatnot on the printed side, so I can tell which is which.

I ALWAYS use reversed, toner down so I DO get transfer. Much easier and more accurate than tracing . I usually use 2 pixels so the toner is not visible once tooled. Of course if I want the leather "printed" then I use a robust font.

Cya!

Bob

Recently, I wanted this question answered too, As something to use, and make for myself.

Tree Reaper came to my rescue. Solution; simple wooden frame grooved for T-Track, T-Bolts, and Knobs for the size bolts used.

I found them available at AMAZON, ROCKLER, WOODCRAFT then drill a simple 1-1/2" bar of thin/flat aluminum as a guide. Welah. works like a charm Thanx again Reaper Wild Bill46

For about £125 you can buy a 3D printer "Ender 3" and print your own lettering for embossing as either positive or negative using all available font styles with proportional spacing so they look great, a typical name print will cost less than about £0.50 in filament.

You can use a free online software package named "Tinkercad" to get started which whilst basic will do all you require for making stamps with a Arbor press (1-2 ton)