Reegesc

Barkeeper's Friend Mixing Recipe

I'm posting this to make it easier for those searching on the following terms as well as share my own recipe and experience using it on tooled veg tan leather:

oxalic acid alternatives

cleaning substitutes

Barkeeper's mixing recipe

Barkeeper mixing recipe

Bar Keeper mixing recipe

Mix:

====

1 Tablespoon of Barkeeper's Friend to 1 pint of water.

Result

=====

I used this mix on a heavily soiled veg tan piece (hand oils, sweat, grime) that I had just tooled. I dipped a clean rag in the solution and briskly rubbed the piece with plenty of saturation. It couldn't tell if it was working when it was wet so I just gave it a good scrub. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but once dry it was clean as a whistle. In fact, it came out cleaner than it was on the roll when I first cut it.

There's a comment on another thread stating that Barkeeper's Friend is an inferior substitute because it only contains 5% per volume of oxalic acid (MSDS sheet says 5-10%) and you would have to use an entire can in a paste form for it do anything. That's about as absurd a statement as I've read in these forums, and there are some doozies.

All I can say is it worked great for me.

Barkeepers is cheap and easy to find in the cleaning section of your grocery store. I use it mainly to clean copper and brass on my metal projects. Works great on that too.

I've always used Barkeepers Friend, it will do the job.

Chief

I tried it. And I tried oxalic. Went with oxalic. One can make the oxalic very strong easily. I will say one thing for the BKF. That stuff sure cleans the glass top of our electric range. Very little scraping to do now.
I believe the main "bleach" ingredient in BKF is citrus. I can say by experience that lemon juice does as well as BKF. YMMV.

"That's about as absurd a statement as I've read in these forums, and there are some doozies."

Little rough, dont you think?

Edited by Red Cent

WOW

There's a liquid Barkeeper's Friend with less grit. I'd use it in a pinch. It sure does get rid of rust and metals in sinks.

"That's about as absurd a statement as I've read in these forums, and there are some doozies."

Little rough, dont you think?

++++++++++++

Yep, in retrospect it sure is, Apologies

I tried some BKF yesturday on some leather that had gotten so dirty I was going to buy some more instead of using it. I just wet the leather, sprinkled some BKF on a rag and wiped it in circles on the leather. I rinsed it immediatly after and after it dried it was prettier and cleaner than the new hides I get. Thanks for the tip.

Personally, I'd be worried about the grit in BKF either abrading the finished leather's surface or physically removing the tanner's oils, etc. Unless it's so grimy that you need that abrasive effect, I'd use oxalic acid. It's inexpensive and readily available (e.g., Amazon).

Michelle