TRHLeather

Custom Spats

Long time viewer, first time poster. I just finished a set of custom spats. After some research, I came came up with a design based on a Swiss military spat, except taller. The right one even has a secret pocket.

All comments/critiques welcome.

Thanks,

Tom Hodder

TRH Leather

post-58856-0-79654000-1421453313_thumb.j

post-58856-0-75300600-1421453317_thumb.j

post-58856-0-68285600-1421453321_thumb.j

post-58856-0-88053400-1421453525_thumb.j

Very nice, excellent job!

Very nice. Love the idea.

Those things must be coming on as the next fashion statement. I saw a lady decked out to the nines at the hospital the other day wearing a pair of riding half chaps/spats, and another at the mall yesterday. Neither looked like they had just stepped off a horse, but; they were wearing them! I probably should dust off my patterns from the track, looks like they might get some use this year. That set you have look like they would fit right in with that group. Nice job

Bob

Actually they have resurged with the steampunk movement. I personally love them and they are definitely more classy than leg warmers.

Those are nice, when I am outside hiking/hunting I always have my gaiters on (Gaitors are similar to spats) and those in leather are a fantastic design and idea.

Nice work

Very nice, will have to try making these myself.

Beautiful job and a great idea. I thought you'd find this link interesting from the Italian high-end shoemaker, Henry Beguelin. This is the latest collection, so yes, this idea is hitting the runways.

http://shop.henrybeguelin.it/products/combat-boot-fur-inside-icarus-caffe

Those are sharp, wonder how well something like that works for brush busting and keeping snow out while hunting.

Those are beautiful! I want to make something similar but not as pretty out of 10oz for snake protection but not sure if a rattler can bite thru it? Don't really want to test it either. Really awesome job!

Those are very cool. Love them.

Always heard of these, My mother is from the N.E. but this is my first visualization. Really nice leather idea.

They look as if, moisture and snake bites might be thwarted even if somewhat ??.

Thanx, for the experience in photos.. ------------ Wild Bill46

Very nice and functional Spats. Do you have a pattern with measurements that you are willing to share? I'm wanting to make a pair for a friend of mine here in Sask.

Thanks, Leo

Very nice and functional Spats. Do you have a pattern with measurements that you are willing to share? I'm wanting to make a pair for a friend of mine here in Sask.

Thanks, Leo

Sure. Just give me a little time to get the parts together and scan them. The guy I made them for had a 15" measurement around his calf so I will show on the pattern where to add material for larger leg sizes.

Tom

Thank you very much. Wherabouts are you located in Nova Scotia, we have a daughter residing near Bridgewater that we visit from time to time.

Leo

Those are sharp, wonder how well something like that works for brush busting and keeping snow out while hunting.

A similar design is used for snow gaiters that are sold for showshoeing. Those are make of medium to heavy weight nylon. Keeping the snow out of your boots is something that these should handle easily. There are also heavier weight canvas or cordura gaiters / spats for use in brush. So again, leather would work really well.

Those are beautiful! I want to make something similar but not as pretty out of 10oz for snake protection but not sure if a rattler can bite thru it? Don't really want to test it either. Really awesome job!

I would think that since most snakebite prevention gaiters are made of heavy Cordura Denier fabric, that 10 oz leather would do an even better job. Growing up on the Carolina coast, we had to worry a lot about snakes. Plenty of guys I knew had leather & canvas gaiters for when they went hunting. Some farmers wore them frequently in certain areas & brush conditions on the farms. It's hard to count the number of times I had encounters with snakes growing up. I always wore sturdy, high top leather boots when I was out in the wild. Between the eastern diamondbacks, cotton mouths, copperheads, and the various large non-venemous snakes, it was a pretty regular event to come across one in the spring through fall. I only once ran into a coral snake in SC, but saw a couple when I lived in FL later.