kyuukaru

Skiver: Motor Setup For Skiver To Achieve Constant Knife Speed, Variable Feed Roller Control

I had a vintage Fortuna s50v that was set up in a particular way: when the ON switch was turned on, the bell knife rotated at constant high speed. The feed roller variable speed was controlled with the foot pedal (a light press on the foot pedal would ensure a slow feed; flooring the foot pedal made the feed roller rotate at top speed).

This setup was perfect for the types of leathers I skive.

When moved abroad I sold the Fortuna, and am now looking at a Japan-made Nippy NP-202 or NP-2 or skiver (essentially same-same parts as that old Fortuna). Local skiver vendors say to set a skiver up that way two motors are needed. One underneath and an additional motor mounted to the table behind the skiver (back right). I am not very mechanical, but not inclined to want to mount a motor on the table behind the skiver. The Fortuna v50s seemed to have only one motor. Enclosing photo and have many more photos of the guts & back of the skiver if helpful.

Question: In order to run bell knife at constant speed and control feed roller at variable speed, are two motors necessary? What is the best optimized way to set up the skiver?

Specific suggestions would be appreciated.

post-32888-0-77698000-1421573983_thumb.j

I see this is an old topic, did you buy that Fortuna copy. There are many different models of the Fortuna skiving machines, same goes for Italian, Japanese and Chinese machines. There is an Fortuna model with inbuilt clutch for the roller speed. I belive that can be set up with one motor only. Myself I have an Italian machine with three motors in its set up. One for the constant speed of the bell knife, a small inbuilt servo motor for the roller and one motor for the exhaust fan. This machine do not look like a regular Fortuna model either. For those regular Chinese Fortuna clones with bottom feed, I do believe you need two motors. I could be possible to change the belt gear inside them to get a lower feed roller speed related to the bell knife. It looks like some of them have three different pulley sizes inside. You could contact Dan Naegle in Campbell Randall leather machine company http://www.campbell-randall.com/about/contact/ and ask him. I knows all there is about setting up such machines. He sells and service Fortuna and Italian skiving machines. He will tell you what's possible to set up and not.

Good luck

Tor

I see this is an old topic, did you buy that Fortuna copy. There are many different models of the Fortuna skiving machines, same goes for Italian, Japanese and Chinese machines. There is an Fortuna model with inbuilt clutch for the roller speed. I belive that can be set up with one motor only. Myself I have an Italian machine with three motors in its set up. One for the constant speed of the bell knife, a small inbuilt servo motor for the roller and one motor for the exhaust fan. This machine do not look like a regular Fortuna model either. For those regular Chinese Fortuna clones with bottom feed, I do believe you need two motors. I could be possible to change the belt gear inside them to get a lower feed roller speed related to the bell knife. It looks like some of them have three different pulley sizes inside. You could contact Dan Naegle in Campbell Randall leather machine company http://www.campbell-randall.com/about/contact/ and ask him. I knows all there is about setting up such machines. He sells and service Fortuna and Italian skiving machines. He will tell you what's possible to set up and not.

Good luck

Tor

As Trox explained, there's a wide variety of options with OEM European skiving machines.

• The Fortuna 50S includes a mechanical clutch in the head, allowing the knife to operate as high speed, and the clutch controlling the feed independently.
  • The Fortuna V50S is the basic models designed to use a clutch motor. The knife and feed are connected into one drive, so as you slow the feed, the knife slows, reducing the cut quality
  • We also sell the Italian made FAV skivers, available in a variety of systems.

The Asian skivers offer only the most basic feed system. Nippy was one of the original companies to copy "build a machine inspired by" an old Fortuna design (later copied by the Chinese). You will find the only parts compatible with a Fortuna are the knives, feet and feed wheels. Everything else is different.

Your local vendor would have to be creative in mounting the motors, because there is simply not enough room to put everything under the table using generic motors. You either need a mechanical clutch system (only found on the OEM machines) or a small gear head motor with a modified machine head.

Good luck

Tor

I meant to say that "He knows all there is about setup of such machines" and not " I knows" as I wrote above. :)

As Trox explained, there's a wide variety of options with OEM European skiving machines.

• The Fortuna 50S includes a mechanical clutch in the head, allowing the knife to operate as high speed, and the clutch controlling the feed independently.
  • The Fortuna V50S is the basic models designed to use a clutch motor. The knife and feed are connected into one drive, so as you slow the feed, the knife slows, reducing the cut quality
  • We also sell the Italian made FAV skivers, available in a variety of systems.

The Asian skivers offer only the most basic feed system. Nippy was one of the original companies to copy "build a machine inspired by" an old Fortuna design (later copied by the Chinese). You will find the only parts compatible with a Fortuna are the knives, feet and feed wheels. Everything else is different.

Your local vendor would have to be creative in mounting the motors, because there is simply not enough room to put everything under the table using generic motors. You either need a mechanical clutch system (only found on the OEM machines) or a small gear head motor with a modified machine head.

Thanks, for explaining this in the forum, I know there have been other topics with the same question before.

Another question,

Just bought bought an older Fortuna band knife splitting machine (rebuilt once). Getting it in the workshop this week. Should be in working order with a new knife. Bought from a recently closed down furniture factory here in Norway. (Do not know the model number yet). However, I think it is a 320 mm. splitting width and bottom feed. If I should need any parts for it later, are you supporting/supplying these machines?

Thanks

Tor

Sergey at SewPro was showing me his skivers last time I was down there, they are as Dan calls "inspired by the fortuna" ha! He sets them up with two motors, a constant running motor and a servo motor for the feed. Not are mounted under the table, and he does this not both the bottom feed, and the top and bottom feed. -Andrew

Two motors are necessary!

With two motors mounted under the table, yes. A constant speed motor for the bell knife shaft and a servo motor connected to the feed roller shaft. The feed roller shaft and the bell knife shaft are connected with a V belt inside the back side of the machine. With a creative placement of the motors (under the table) and the belt slots cut in the table, you can achieve this setup. However, not with a one motor setup only, like some new Fortuna and Italian made skiving machines offers. I would use a small servo motor/ gear motor etc. for the feed roller shaft. You have to do some modefications, like replacing the motor position and cut new belt slots in the table for a start. It's not only to bolt on an extra motor.

Tor

Thanks, for explaining this in the forum, I know there have been other topics with the same question before.

Another question,

Just bought bought an older Fortuna band knife splitting machine (rebuilt once). Getting it in the workshop this week. Should be in working order with a new knife. Bought from a recently closed down furniture factory here in Norway. (Do not know the model number yet). However, I think it is a 320 mm. splitting width and bottom feed. If I should need any parts for it later, are you supporting/supplying these machines?

Thanks

Tor

Yes - we are a stocking distributor for Fortuna and other original machine manufacturers. Sounds like this could be an AV/AS320?

Two motors are necessary!

With two motors mounted under the table, yes. A constant speed motor for the bell knife shaft and a servo motor connected to the feed roller shaft. The feed roller shaft and the bell knife shaft are connected with a V belt inside the back side of the machine. With a creative placement of the motors (under the table) and the belt slots cut in the table, you can achieve this setup. However, not with a one motor setup only, like some new Fortuna and Italian made skiving machines offers. I would use a small servo motor/ gear motor etc. for the feed roller shaft. You have to do some modefications, like replacing the motor position and cut new belt slots in the table for a start. It's not only to bolt on an extra motor.

Tor

I agree. Most the machines we sell have a feed system independent of the knife because they do a much better job when trying to control the work.

The basic machines can be adapted to use more than one motor, but it can get messy fitting the table with all the extra slots, belts and motors. The OEM machines are already designed for multi-motor setups.

hey,

anyone have a motor recommendation and any pics of setups with an extra motor installed afterwards?

-eero

Sorry, my machine has a inbuilt motor for the feed wheel. I have not seen any tutorials on such setups on the youtube.

I can skive with my old fortuna pretty well, but knowledge never hurt anyone I guess... :)