MorningStarL

Wetforming Knife Sheath With Inlay

The knife sheath I’m making now has a panel of iguana skin sandwiched between 9-10 ounce vegtan upper and a much thinner liner. Not sure what it is; I inherited the leather. The knife has a solid copper bolster about half-an-inch thick. I’d normally wetform around the handle of the knife. Will it work with this? I’ve used contact cement between the upper and the edges of the skin inside, between the inlay and a vegtan padding piece, and all over the back of the upper and the liner. Gonna be stitching around the inlay and the top tomorrow. I’d wetform after that, if you say I can. This one’s important.

If you put 'wet formed leather' into the search box of YouTube there are several clips & tutorials, including sheaths. Entering 'sheath making' will include clips on other methods

You might like this website & forum. They have a section on sheaths & leatherwork so you could ask there, too http://www.britshblades.com

This company is a supplier of blades & accessories, and their website has some tutorials on sheath making http://www.brisa.fi

If you have some scrap pieces left over the best thing would be to duplicate it and try molding a small sample.

Thanks. I used to be on britishblades; maybe still am. I've no scraps left. First, I'll finish the sheath and then I'll see if wetforning looks like a good idea.

And thanks, Electrathon. Of course the stitching won't stretch, but I hadn't stopped to think about that part.

When I make a case like that I always compensate for the additional thickness and taper the top out from the back, if you don't it has a pulled in appearance when completed.

Thanks. I'll let all y'all know how it turn out.