SilverStarCreek

Automatic Spot Setting Machine

My hands are getting tired setting 1/4" spot on my leather horse tack. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a supplier for a machine?

(one with a hopper at the very least and a guide for setting them straight)? I just need to make sure whatever the one I buy can set them so they are touching. (the last machine I bought doesn't allow them to be set that close together and will not work with the thick leather I use) I have just outgrown my current ones and would like to buy the right one the first time. Thanks everyone for your help.

smile emoticon Here is a picture of what I make for reference to what I need to achieve for edging my overlays.

post-41446-0-42302800-1421726157_thumb.j

We set a lot of spots and I have never seen a machine that will set spots that close to each other.

I talked with a company and they do have a machine that will set them that close, but will not work with thick leather and doesn't have a guide. I know there is a machine out there as I have seen many other horse tack makers work and they have the spot touching or almost touching. I just don't know what companies to contact to ask. I don't mind sending samples of my leather to them to test on either. Just want to buy the best one I can to begin with.

What type of machine are you currently using? I set spots by hand and am also getting tired of it and wanting to upgrade but I want it to do the samething on setting them close. Do you set your spots by hand before you sew your stuff together or afterwards? Also would you happen to know how people set spots along the edges of their tack to where it looks like it is right next to the sewed lines or even ontop of the lines? I posted a picture below to show you what Im talking about.

post-48212-0-03483100-1421802163_thumb.j

I have a hand press (not sure on the brand as I have had it for many, many years) and I also have a semi-automatic foot press that is a heritage brand purchased through weaver. But it will not work with the semi-automatic setter with my thick leather. I do it both ways when I set my spots. I set some before stitching the lining on and some after. The ones set on the edge like you a posted a picture of they have an edge guide like you would have on a leather sewing machine as the roller edge guide I am assuming. I still just set them all by hand and then "crimp" them with my hand or foot press as I can't get a nice straight line no matter how I try w/o and edge guide.

I have some very large orders coming up and it just consumes so much of my time setting the spots and my hands can't take much more of it, so I want to invest in a good machine. But I have been having no such luck finding one. I would have liked to attend a trade show where different suppliers were at last week in Colorado, as then I would have been able to bring samples of my work to do some testing. There is another one in September but I don't want to wait that long to get one.

Call Standard Rivet. . . they are THE spotter people. They have a website also. You are going to want a full automatic if you have lots of spots to set. You'll never look back.

Okay thank you so much for the helpful info on the machines. Where do you get your spots from do they make any thats longer than 5/16" on the prong length because i also use very thick leather and on certain projects i use double ply leather sewed together and those prongs just arent long enough and i see people all the time using two pieces of leather the same thicknes and also a lining to and i have never figured out how they get the spots to go all the way through that, i dont know if its the special machines or longer pronged spots. I currently use standard rivet but all they carry is 5/16".

As far as I know, spots do not come with a longer leg than 5/16". There are barbed spots, but I don't think they're commonly used by tack makers today. Honestly, the stuff you see that is thicker than 5/16", either the spots were put in before the layers put together, or the spots don't go all the way through to clinch. I've seen ALOT of that; they don't stay in long and you can pick them out with your fingers. But the makers of the cheap stuff don't care, as long as the spots stay in long enough to make the boat ride and get to the horse sale. Ebay is full of garbage like that too. I get my spots from both Standard and Timco. I think the name may have changed on that company, but that's what they started out as. If you need to set spots in leather thicker than 5/16' you have to modify your process somehow.

Good Morning!

YES....TIMCO is now SX Industries.

We produce a few Spot Setting machines. We have Single Shot, Semi-Auto, and Full Auto feed Spot Setters.

Send me a PM and I will provide you will all the details you require :thumbsup:

Thank you,

Tim

Good Morning!

YES....TIMCO is now SX Industries.

We produce a few Spot Setting machines. We have Single Shot, Semi-Auto, and Full Auto feed Spot Setters.

Send me a PM and I will provide you will all the details you require :thumbsup:

Thank you,

Tim

Tim - your website doesn't list any contact information. I took the time to fill out your form and ask a question and request a catalog, but when I pressed "enter" I got an error message.

I apologize , we're rebuilding the site and some of the systems are down during this process.

Please send your request to my email: tim@sxindustries.com or call me @ 781-828-7111 x.203

I will be happy to provide all the info you need. We custom fit ALL our machines! What I mean by that is: We provide guides, jigs, templates, and all sorts of alignment tools necessary to make your job easier. Our machine will NOT ship till it succeeds in doing what you require....period.

I've been in the "spotting" industry for well over 30yrs. I've listened to my customers and make it my goal to solve any and all of their spotting issues.

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Thank you,

Tim