ryanmotley

In Need Of A Little Help... Looking At Cylinder Arm Machines

I make all sorts of leather luggage, from hard cases to soft bags... a lot of my production had been done in Istanbul up till this point, however I am now transitioning all of the manufacturing to my tiny little shop in Montana. That being said I have been doing all of my prototype work and some custom work on my Juki 1541, but when it comes to soft bags and duffles a cylinder arm machine is what I am in need of (at least if I want to prevent further fits of rage and possible injury). That being said, to this point the majority of my work is done with 138 thread and anywhere from 3-8oz leather. I am really looking for a dependable machine that will transition from thick to thin really nicely, and last for years. Up till now I have been considering and Adler model 69-373, as well as and Adler 269-373. I know there are some other great options out there and to be honest I don't even know if the previous models will do everything I would like. The fact that I live in Montana means that I don't really have the option to go out an try a bunch of machines, however here is what I really would like to accomplish with this purchase.

be able to sew thin leathers as well as thick. (I don't think I needed to sew anything thicker than 3/8in to this point, however better safe than sorry so maybe a 1/2" capability would be nice?)

I currently use 138 thread, but could definetly see the use of thicker thread being nice. I don't see myself needing anything below 69 thread.

great transitions from thick to thin.

Thin cylinder arm for rolling around tight corners.

With all this said, I think the Model 69 maxes out at thread 138 but I am not sure on the 269. Also, I don't know what thickness of material can be run through either of the machines. If anyone has any other suggestions (Randall, Consew, Pfaff, Juki or anything else), or has a machine that fits my needs that they would like to part with let me know... also I am interested in a double needle machine that will do the same as above.

Thanks in advance for any help. If I need to clarify anything please let me know.

Ryanmotley,

We have 2 of the Adler 269-373 machines in our plant. They are set up with #138 top and bottom and they handle 8 oz. leather with no problem as well as thin materials. They can sew #207 thread. Remember, the 269-373 is the cylinder arm version of the 267-373. Great machine. They are no longer made having been replaced by the 869. Finding used ones can be a problem. I think Miami Sewing in Florida carries some in stock. Juki machine is also good. It would be a the LS-341 or the replacement which is the LS-1341. Both good machines as well. Consew 227 is in the same class as the Adler or Juki although I think the Juki and Adler may sew a little bit heavier.

glenn

Thanks Glenn. on some of the bags that I will be using the machine on, I will probably be putting through about 3/8inch of leather/felt/other fabric... in your experience with the 269 handle that much?

Thanks,

Ryan

You might try calling Bob Kovar at Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (they advertise on this forum). When I was in need of a machine for my particular application he was very attentive as I explained my needs and he made some excellent recommendations. He did not try to sell me more machine than I needed, just the machines that would work for me. He's a good listener and has a temendous amount of knowledge reagarding leather sewing machines.

You should contact all of the advertisers on this site, we are all reputable and we will be able to help you.