I volunteered to replace the fleece on a friend's saddle. Actually I got some round bales out of the deal, but now I might take them back.

Somebody ran the saddle strings all the way through which I can redo without repeating. However the pockets for the tree bars are sew through the fleece as well. Furthermore, the pockets are part of the rigging and go under the swell cover. I am pretty sure I can remove it all and sew the pockets back on before the fleece is installed. But then I would have to realign the riggings. So, should I:

1. Do this the easiest (fix it like it is now) but probably not correct method?

2. Remove the skirts and riggings and fix it like it should be?

3. Return the saddle as is along with the hay? (not really an option, but it crossed my mind)

Thanks,

Randy

post-46116-0-15235800-1421929690_thumb.j

post-46116-0-06196100-1421929698_thumb.j

post-46116-0-86492500-1421929703_thumb.j

Randy,

The first thing I would do is talk to the owner. When I get one like this in, if the owner has no objections, I replace the pockets with lug straps. You don't have to take the riggings off. Just cut the stitches to remove the skirts, then I trim the riggings while on the tree to the same dimensions I would make my D riggings if I was building them new. Then edge them and you are good to go. If he prefers to keep the pockets it is standard to sew them after the woolskins are on and the skirts are put on the saddle. I hate that part of the job. Get some bandaids and prepare to bleed a little.

Hope this helps,

CW

Edited by CWR

Randy, like CW, I prefer lug straps, however; when I get one in like this, I just do it the right way. Not that much ore work, and going out the door, I know I did it right. As for the pockets, if you use a couple of the original stitch holes in the skirt and the pocket leather to locate the pocket and rigging in the proper place, and then while they are secure, restitch with fresh holes, then put the sheep skin on last you will have put it back to the original condition.

Bob

I cringe also when I get these kind in. They're a pain in the rear. It is fairly common on a drop dee roping saddle, and also some cutters. It is meant to help stabilize the front rigging primarily, secondarily to serve the purpose of a lug strap. Whether it truly does stabilize the front rigging, or is just a gimmick to sell saddles I don't know. With a drop dee there's quite a bit of leather between the bar and the dee and I suppose with heavy use the leather could be pulled/stretched out of it's original position. When I get them in like this, I do it the way it's suppose to be done. Leave the rigging in place and cut the stitches and re-sew them when you put it back together. Yes, that's by hand, as it was when new:-) Look at this kind when brand new; they are handsewed through the fleece after the skirts are in place.

Thanks for the tips. I will get some band aids and charge ahead.

Randy