atcspaul

Gb Leather Tools

has any one of heard of GB. i got some and all thier is on the handle stamped GB-1 GB-4 ect. thank you these are new to me. they came from an estate sale and most of the tools were craftool usa and these ones so imagine they may be older but have no idea

Hi there,

GB could refer to George Barnsley of Sheffield, England. Founded in 1836 they make a wide variety of tools, including leather working tools but changed names in 2003 (I think). A historical reference is here:

https://projectsheffield.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/george-barnsley-and-sons-ltd-founded-1836-sheffield-2010/

Geo. Barnsley & Sons Ltd is at the same address but now running as Woodware Repetitions Ltd, 47 Mowbray Street Sheffield S3 8EN. It is still family run. The phone number is England +44 (0)114 2726060 and the owner, Colin Barsnely's email is cjbarnsley@hotmail.com. He has published this openly and seems very happy to answer questions.

I hope that helps.

I have a Barnsley plough gauge. Very accurate and very nice tool. I think it is made around 1930 to 40. It has a shoe stamped on the side of the blade.

can you post a picture of them?

I'm pretty sure that these aren't going to be George Barnsley products because I don't think they made/make leather stamps (could be wrong though).

Sorry if I've lead you up the garden path on that one! Good luck with the search.

Jerry