cgleathercraft

Info Request: American Straight Needle

I realize this is an old thread, but it seems to contain the most information.

I'm looking at picking up a couple of these machines, one in somewhat marginal operating condition, the other one is pretty rough and I figure it could be a parts machine.

The piece of information I'm looking for is an accurate weight of the machine.  I've looked at manuals and threads elsewhere, but can't find any numbers other than "heavy".

Does anyone know what the weight actually is?

If I were to separate the top from the base, it's this something a strong ex-football lineman could handle alone?

If it is like this one
http://www.leightons.ca/used-landis-strtndl.html
http://www.leightons.ca/used-landis-strtndl.html
They say that total weight is 510lbs..or just over 230 kilos
If you can spilt the head from the base then maybe 250lbs or 115kgs ..
"Liftable"* ( depends** how high )..after you get it in your arms, depends how far you are going to walk with it before you put it down..gently..

* is not an actual word, but you get the idea :)
**also depends on how big / strong is "a strong ex-football lineman"..a big (ish ) rugby player could do it, if they really wanted the machine :)

IIWY..I'd put a lifting belt on anyway..healthier for your back..Maybe you could hire an engine hoist / crane ( or buy one , they do come in handy, I have a folding one in the atelier ( other side of the wall ) about 3 metres from where I'm sitting .

Edited by mikesc

I've transported several of these, and the recommendation by a sewing machine mechanic was not to split it, but to pull the needle, awl and bobbin case out, and then tip it into a pickup box on it's back and roll it in.  Tie it down well.

^^^^^That is what my 1st thought was..Move it ( tied onto ) on what I'd call a "sack trolley" as far as the van / pick up truck, slide it in , secure it..easy one person job done that way..Still worth buying an engine crane though..just because :)

11 hours ago, mikesc said:

^^^^^That is what my 1st thought was..Move it ( tied onto ) on what I'd call a "sack trolley" as far as the van / pick up truck, slide it in , secure it..easy one person job done that way..Still worth buying an engine crane though..just because :)

It's still best done with two people. They really DO weigh over 500 lb!

Engine hoists are optimised for moving relatively small, dense pieces of car small distances. There is not a great deal of space between the legs or below the hook on most cheaper models, and the further out you have the arm sticking the further its weight-carrying capacity gets derated. The common 1000KG/1ton models are only good for 250KG at full extension, which isn't very far, and you've not got much margin for error on a 510lb machine. I used such a hoist to move a bulky 350kg/770lb splitter a few months ago. It's doable but we had to get creative with the rigging.
corner.jpg

I will concur that they are every bit of 500lbs. Most outsolers and stitchers like the American, weigh at least that much. Moved many over the years. I don't know how much it is going to help to split because the head will be so awkward to move by yourself. An engine hoist would definitely make it easier if you did split. Depending on the motor mounts be careful if you decide to lay it down. It is possible to bend the drive shaft if it is exposed or the motor sits away from the base. We've had success will bolting the stitcher to a pallet that you could use a handcart with. The triangle shaped base makes them a pain to directly get a cart under. 

Strongly recommend at least 2 people.

Edited by arashikage
correction

Thanks for the info.  Looks like going in the back of the car is out of the question.  Getting them on a trailer would certainly be easier.  I may be able to do it myself with a hand truck.  Cant be anymore difficult than the 800lb lathe I moved in and out of my basement, split into two parts.