Instinctive

Starting Again After 20 Plus Years Away

I first learned the basic of leather crafting/carving in high school art class when I was 15 (1975). I started my first business then, buying Tandy pre-embosed belt blanks and buckles, finishing and assembling them. When I had made enough money, I purchased a Tandy basic leather crafing kit with tools and expanded the offerig to hand tooled wallets, bags, etc. As I remember it, that work was pretty crude.

After getting an engineering degree, I picked it back up again and decided to try and improve my tooling skills and skills in general. With no shops in the area, I did this by buying the books and teaching myself (pre-internet days)

While workig a real job, I started another leather side business, the Wallace River Leather Company, but about 20 years ago packed away my tools and any leather pieces I had to focus on my new business I started that made use of my engineering education.

I'm retired now so I've blown the dust off my tools and am back it trying to rememeber what I knew and, through sites like this, learn something new. "Work" that isn't work anymore.

For those interested, the picture attached is one of the first carving I did 39 years ago.

You can see some pieces from 25 to 30 years ago at www.wallaceriverleather.wordpress.com. I hope you will notice some carving improvement. The better ones will be closer to 25 years ago.

I am sure that WRLC "The Retirement Project" pieces will be posted from time to time.

post-58588-0-81331200-1422494112_thumb.j

Hi Eric.

I'm basically doing the same thing except have been doing Farmers Markets for last ten or so years every Saturday. Educated as a draftsperson with drafting board and machine then worked in a municipality using AutoCAD and a civil 3d package for road and sewer design. As time went on my employer was hell bent on contracting work out and our engineering department was eventually going to be no more. From there I bid on an internal posting so I would not lose my future pension and ended up working in sewer lift stations and eventually the city's wastewater treatment plant.

I'm now very happy that I put in time doing the farmers market as now I have tools, ideas, and the 'love' for leather work. We just moved to Vancouver Island from Prince George and my wife and I are LOVING it. I mean really loving it.

I was actually born in Chatam NB and raised in Montreal. One summer I travelled with Bill Lynch Shows through the Maritimes making leather belts which was an interesting experience lol. I believe you said you were in Moncton, do you still have a pink bridge there? lol Sorry that's all I remember. I'm sure it's a great town and a wonderful place to live.

All the best to you in your new enjoyable occupation. I'm very happy doing leather work and I wish the same for you!

Greg

Welcome back to the fold! I'm sure you'll notice that a lot of tools have changed, but the spirit stayed the same. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums

Welcome back the world of leather and welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the best site on the internet and back to leather. Unfortunately many of us that started as kids, when we became adults put it away because of jobs and families. We always come back to it though. In some countries artists are encouraged to make it their own viable business. However, in North America it is not considered viable. Now you have time and things to do when the big storms hit.

Welcome back to the best hobby in the world. I to just got back about 6 years ago. And I love it, pounding on leather.

Hi Eric.

I'm basically doing the same thing except have been doing Farmers Markets for last ten or so years every Saturday. Educated as a draftsperson with drafting board and machine then worked in a municipality using AutoCAD and a civil 3d package for road and sewer design. As time went on my employer was hell bent on contracting work out and our engineering department was eventually going to be no more. From there I bid on an internal posting so I would not lose my future pension and ended up working in sewer lift stations and eventually the city's wastewater treatment plant.

I'm now very happy that I put in time doing the farmers market as now I have tools, ideas, and the 'love' for leather work. We just moved to Vancouver Island from Prince George and my wife and I are LOVING it. I mean really loving it.

I was actually born in Chatam NB and raised in Montreal. One summer I travelled with Bill Lynch Shows through the Maritimes making leather belts which was an interesting experience lol. I believe you said you were in Moncton, do you still have a pink bridge there? lol Sorry that's all I remember. I'm sure it's a great town and a wonderful place to live.

All the best to you in your new enjoyable occupation. I'm very happy doing leather work and I wish the same for you!

Greg

Greg,

Nice to hear from someone from this region. You realy did do "time" traveling with the Bill Lynch Show. I remember them well goi gto the fall fair's.

When I had my formal part time leather business, I did the christmas craft fair circuit. Made and sold piles of belts during those few years as well as the wallets, bads, etc.

Interesting we both have water and sewer experience. My real business was a pump distribution business. Did lots of works o the clean side and the dirty side of water and wastewater treatment.

No pink bridge in Moncton anymore and if you rememeber Highflied Square, that's gone too.

I hope you are enjoying the milder Vancouver climate. We've have been slamed with snow this week. Piled high and deep.

Welcome back to the best hobby in the world. I to just got back about 6 years ago. And I love it, pounding on leather.

I don't think there is anything that compares to the smell of leather being worked. I to am loving the return.

Welcome back to the fold! I'm sure you'll notice that a lot of tools have changed, but the spirit stayed the same. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums

Thank you. I have noticed somethings have changed, particularly the improvement in the waterbased stains and glues. I'm allowed to use those in the house.

Welcome back!

Tom

Thank you Tom.

Welcome back the world of leather and welcome to the forum!

Thank you. I think the reurn is going to be easier with a forum lke this. Very impressive stuff being done.

Welcome to the best site on the internet and back to leather. Unfortunately many of us that started as kids, when we became adults put it away because of jobs and families. We always come back to it though. In some countries artists are encouraged to make it their own viable business. However, in North America it is not considered viable. Now you have time and things to do when the big storms hit.

I have alwas said "never burn a bridge, you may need to cross it again". Starting this again feels just like that, crossing back to move ahead. Very grateful to be able to keep the mind working (harder I think) now that I'm "retired". Something to do even when there is no storm.