Alan Tesla

First Attempt At A Leather Jacket

If I may make a suggestion. Find a article of clothing that fits you well and just break it down and use that as a jumping off point for whatever you decide to make.

Thanks, will remember that but I don't make enough clothing in leather to worry about really here's the last 2 items I made

brigadine2_zpsdcc8ab39.jpg[/url]

Brigadine Circa 1450 AD

waistcoatsmallone_zpsokowhpqz.jpg[/url]

waistcoastsmalltwo_zpsdd5npg1v.jpg[/url]

Gothic laced up the sides waistcoat,lined with cotton

Thanks, will remember that but I don't make enough clothing in leather to worry about really here's the last 2 items I made

brigadine2_zpsdcc8ab39.jpg[/url]

Brigadine Circa 1450 AD

waistcoatsmallone_zpsokowhpqz.jpg[/url]

waistcoastsmalltwo_zpsdd5npg1v.jpg[/url]

Gothic laced up the sides waistcoat,lined with cotton

very nice love the lace.

Looks incredible. I love it!

Chris

Awesome work! I'm going to have to look into making one myself now!

Awesome work! I'm going to have to look into making one myself now!

Great let me know how it turns out.

that's a great job! Which pattern have you used? Have you made the lining?

I stripped down an old ACU blouse that was issued to me in the army, no pattern for the hood and yes the lining is 100% wool it is black.

That really is impressive.

Don't think I would have patience for all that stitching I take my hat off to you :)

That really is impressive.

Don't think I would have patience for all that stitching I take my hat off to you :)

Thank you

I see you have done some clothes before as this is really good. I have done similar but I use a really basic Singer machine for this thickness of leather. Once you have used a machine for thin leather and clothes you will never go back. I still hand stitch my veg tanned leather and am proud of the results.

I see you have done some clothes before as this is really good. I have done similar but I use a really basic Singer machine for this thickness of leather. Once you have used a machine for thin leather and clothes you will never go back. I still hand stitch my veg tanned leather and am proud of the results.

Maybe... I have tried using sewing machines before, but I like sewing by hand better. For me I feel the strength is better, also some of the extreme shapes in this jacket makes it almost impossible for a machine. As far as clothes go I have only made frontier boots and a vest. One day I might go to a machine but for now I will stick to using my hands.

post-47705-0-85731500-1423848721_thumb.p

I respect you sticking to hand sewing, the main reason I moved to a basic singer was that I was running a business. I found my machine would stich up to 5mm of leather which would save me a vast amount of time when lining belts or making bag inserts.

I enjoy hand stitching a lot..

Super cool jacket! Love the runes.

Thank you. I decided to go with younger futhark short twig on instead of elder. I love elder but had decided that younger futhark better fit my interest.