I recovered this old saddle from my great-aunt's shed. She told me that her father (my great-grandfather) used to ride this saddle whenever he went out for a date! I figured it must have been very nice in its day, so I wanted to fix it (any tips on fixing bent/cracked leather, please share! I'm currently using Leather New and probably some saddle oil, but advice about other chemicals/techniques that would be better would be most welcome). It was kept on a shelf in a shed that was poorly-protected against the Mississippi elements (well, it survived a tornado that took down a bunch of massive pines, so it must be sturdier than it looks), and there were plenty of spiders living in the resulting folds of the leather. The leather has a lot of those webbing cracks in it, especially where it's been unnaturally folded from sitting on a flat surface. It's not so dry that it cracks at the touch, and for having sat on that shelf for God-knows-how-long, I'm surprised it's in such relatively excellent shape. There is a defined cut in the cantle, and the seat looks to have been scraped away a bit in one area. The stirrup buckles are very rusty, and the strap that connects the girth to the saddle (it's not like any saddle I've seen; it's kind of Y shaped, with the girth attachment at the cross-section of the Y and making the tail) has broken off in transport, although I still have what remains of it. I'm not sure if it will ever be like new again, but I'd like to get it as close as I can.

Furthermore, I have no idea what type of saddle it is. I can't find a maker's mark anywhere, but I haven't looked too thoroughly for fear of cracking the dry leather any further. Online, I've found some types of saddles that are similar, but I'm not certain they're a perfect match. I'm not sure about the year, but I figured it must have been made around late 1800s or early 1900s (and if my great-grandfather got it from HIS father, even older? His father, my great-great-grandfather, owned a slave plantation, to give a bit of perspective, although I've no idea if that's where the saddle came from). If anyone knows what kind of saddle this is, or where I can go to find out, please let me know.

(P.S. I've never posted to a forum before, so I honestly don't know how to attach the picture files. The file uploader keeps telling me the picture is too big, and I had 6 pictures total to get every angle; I can add the pictures later when I figure out how. Until then, I apologize. Please share information on leather restoration, at the very least!!)

Call up your local saddle shop and ask when their saddle repair person will be available to chat for a moment with you. Take the saddle in and tell them what you know, tell them you're new to this, and ask if it's worth working on. I always like a chance to look at an old saddle. They'll be able to give you the best information on how to proceed.

It's very likely not going to be rideable. Once leather dries out, it weakens, tears more easily, and the cracks won't ever go away. No matter how much oil or conditioner you put into it, it won't get stronger -- it'll just be oilier.

If your goal is a nice decorative piece, then use a pH balanced saddle soap to clean it, let it air dry (away from heat sources out of the sun), then use PURE Neatsfoot oil (not a blend or compound) to give it a light coat, and then another light coat the next day. Follow up with a nice topcoat conditioner -- Lexol, Blackrock, and Passoa are good. Your tack shop will be able to help you choose.

I like to put a final polish on my saddles with "Tan Kote" -- you can get it from Tandy Leather or a craft shop might have it. It has a nice light scent, goes on easy, and leaves a shine that is warm but not glossy; a very natural look that highlights any tooling and makes the leather look its best. I use a piece of shearling fleece and just buff it on.

Hope this helps. I'd love to see some "before and after" pictures of your project!

Thanks, Wenny! When I get a chance, I'll do what you suggested. I'm currently pursuing a degree, so I won't have too much time to work on this saddle alongside work and my other skin-tanning projects. I'll be sure to post pictures of the saddle (once I figure out how!), before as well as after shots.

Oh, that's a plantation saddle! I have one very like it that I just sold. Google can help you find more info, but here's a link to get you started. http://www.hillcrestsaddlery.com/ What a fun find!

I can purchase a 1900's model Mcclallan saddle w/no rigging cheap. Can this be rigged to the 1860's

for Civil War reinacting? What will be needed? The saddle is in good condition. I have work with leather for some time, but this will be first saddle. Dan

Sorry, didn't start new thread.

Edited by SGPDWP

New rigging for a McClellan should be a pretty easy fix; after all, it's just straps, really. The important thing is to make sure those straps are hanging equally. If one is even a little forward of the one on the other side, the saddle will ride unevenly, causing it to shift off balance on your horse's back, making him uncomfortable. This can cause soring, back issues, and attitude problems in the horse. It'd be like you walking all day carrying a heavy backpack with only one strap.

You're really enthusiastic about saddles! If you haven't already, you should start hanging around tack shops and looking at the way different saddles are rigged. Talk to the people there, and if there is a saddlemaker on site, ask their advice. Some things are best learned hands-on, other things take specialized tools, and having someone experienced to talk things through with is a real help. Good luck!

There are many look alikes or knock-offs in today's jargon. The plantation was used on gaited horses. Those aren't the original stirrups.

Very nice saddle. Good to see that it has found its way into the hands of someone who will take care of it. If you are interested in identifying the saddle more specifically, you might look here:

http://confederatesaddles.com/cswp/?p=242&

particularly on page 4 of the article, to my eye.

By the way, if the saddle is an early Kilgore those may be the original stirrups.

Bona Allen was one of the premier makers of plantation saddles.