thefanninator

February Keep Making Stuff Challenge

YT, I think you should be officially barred from participating. You're making us look bad. Interested to see how you're going to apply those handles.

Hah, I hope you don't mean me, I don't want to be barred! And I've looked at your works, Monica, and have been in awe. You definitely have skill and a great style, should have no fear of my work, lol.

YinTx

YT, I think you found your calling! Nice work!

Ha, I'm not serious, just back-handedly expressing how impressed I am with your work.

Everyone's looks so good. Glad to be a part of this.

I had little time to do this this month. So I just went straight from the pattern. Definitely needs something done with the edges but for a quick project came out decent. Made from some light clearance leather from Tandy and their mission grain lining.

C54BB413-B6F4-4773-A15D-E95B18EDAB79.jpg

Nice work everyone. Thanks for participating. Hope you're learning. I'll post the March Challenge tomorrow in a new thread @ 9 am CST.

Nice, looks great!

YT, nice clean work. Love it.

Realm13, good looking case, like your leather choices.

and here is mine ! Had some things I had to iron out, but I'm pretty please with it. I added some snaps on the straps.

post-56629-0-95195900-1425167555_thumb.j

post-56629-0-67794200-1425167632_thumb.j

teo more new twist. both looking good. i like the snap idea.

In a word, Yin Been Stitchin!

I did not follow the original design, since I started this in December when I picked up a piece of leather and started cutting and dying it for the first time. I could not find something that I liked for myself, so I designed each piece of this on my own from the get go. I have had to learn a lot of things to get this bag completed, including, well, everything since I had never worked in leather before. So design, cutting, dying, treating, burnishing, folded edges, lining, wet molding, sealing, and not least of all stitching, including saddle stitching and box stitching. Did I say stitching. I think there were about 210 linear inches of stitch on this little bag: that would be 17 linear feet! Everything is done by hand, no power tools. I didn’t have a lot of good tools to do this with, just a Craftool 2.5mm stitching chisel to mark and an awl to pierce the leather. The veg tanned leather was not the best, seems I got some of Tandy’s stuff that folks were recently complaining about. And I was wishing I had better thread than the generic spool of braided I don't know what, but I waxed it and used it anyhow. I think a Barbour, Tiger, or Fil Au Chinois would have looked much nicer and been easier to deal with. But overall, the kit it is something I will use and I really like the way it came out. I hadn’t expected to end up stitching quite that much by hand, since I had originally intended to fabricate this with a stitching machine, but there it is, all by hand. The kit is a bit larger than typical, mostly because I wanted to be able to put standard sized items like shaving cream cans, hair brushes, toothpaste, etc. in there without having to resort to “travel size” items.

I hope everyone enjoys it.

The edges are not completed, as I would like to spend more time to make them nice, but still wanted to enter into the February challenge. I will put more photos in my gallery as I get them uploaded.

post-57438-0-81028500-1425179420_thumb.j post-57438-0-58488300-1425179450_thumb.j post-57438-0-25748500-1425181022_thumb.j post-57438-0-25442600-1425181300_thumb.j post-57438-0-38609300-1425181373_thumb.j post-57438-0-21752400-1425181444_thumb.j

Items used:

Veg tan leather

pigskin liner

Dye

vegetable oil

D-Rings

O-Ring

Button Studs

Resolene Round Knife

Ruler/straight edge

glue brush

needles

thread

beeswax

awl

Craftool 2.5mm stitching chisel

scratch awl

Hole punch

edge beveler

burnishing stick

pliers

Wet form:

Wood

Saw

Screws

Screwdriver

small hammer

contact cement

sand paper

Stitching pony

YinTx

@Waylon, the snaps are a good alternative. Great idea, and nice looking bag.

Yin, you really went all out on the stitching. And the stitching looks really very nice. I think ultimately, you'd need to stitch all the way around the pigskin lining, but I'm not sure what people do in those cases. I'd assume so for myself. Interesting design, too. I'll be interested to hear if you like it a lot or start to see problems with it as you use it.

Monica,

You are right on the lining needing stitching all the way around, and as you can see if you look closely, I have already marked the lid for the stitches, but I knew I wouldn't have it done in time, so I stopped where I could. I will finish it out soon. Thank you for the positive compliment on the stitch work, I have been really focusing on trying to improve it. I have a long way to go to reach any level of perfection, but I am happy with the progress I have made in two months since I started.

And CharlieZ, nice work on the tooling!

I also liked the color combination that rundogdave did.

YinTx

Hey guys and girls, I just stumbled along this Challege. wondering if I can jump in and start with March's Monthly challenge? and if so has the new project been posted yet? Thanks.

Yes & yes.

Separate thread. Same name as this one but it says March instead of February.

It's been a crazy month so I'm a little late!

Modified the pattern a little but it turned out pretty good, gusset was a bit of a bear to sew but the greasy kangaroo I used was nice to work with!

Qmu6P8A.jpg

bOzm05g.jpg

iKnsYUI.jpg

looks good Neillo, i like the buckles and the emblem.

i did not use my roo skin as i thought it was to thin. after reviewing yours, it appears that it would have been fine.

Neillo, I love that one. Really nice work.

Neillo, looks great! Good job.

I ended up unstitching, cutting up and restitching to make a clutch.

post-43646-0-08550000-1425857680_thumb.j

post-43646-0-95485900-1425857680_thumb.j

Cool Chris, way to rescue the project!

Well, better late than never. I finally finished my dopp bag that was February's challenge. I was away for two weeks vacation in Feb and came home to massive amounts of snow. I'm not sure what is going to give out first, the snow or my back. between Sunday and today, we got 29 inches of snow at my house in Nova Scotia.

post-58856-0-63837700-1426767640_thumb.j

post-58856-0-25335400-1426767642_thumb.j

post-58856-0-69287200-1426767642_thumb.j

post-58856-0-24350700-1426767643_thumb.j

Edited by TRHLeather

I like this one, very nice clean job.

Novia Soctia is on my list of places to tour.