TerryJ

Give A Newbie A Quick Tip - From Dye To Finished Holster Question...

I've wet molded some leather for a holster.

I let the leather dry, and I've now dyed it. The guy at Tandy told me to condition the leather AFTER I apply my Resolene, because the alcohol dye really dries the leather.

It seemed pretty dry after the wet molding, if you ask me.

It just seems that if I seal it with the Resolene first, how will conditioner "soak through"?

Is this the proper procedure?

You are correct. I would apply a LIGHT coat of neatsfoot oil and allow it 24 hours to even out BEFORE you apply resolene. Resolene is a sealer.

Like Texback said oil before sealing. and as Tex said give the oil time to migrate into the leather. No offense to the employees of Tandy, however if you want answers to a questions this is the place to come. You may occasionaly get a not quite correct answer here however there is always someone around to correct it.

I'm with the others. Light coat of Neatsfoot, I let mine dry for a couple of days then topcoat.

Thanks Texback,Snubb, and Camano, for your help.

I know this was a basic question, but I'm new at this,and want to TRY to do things right.

I understand that I'll have to make some mistakes with this hobby before I get good, but I'd like to minimize my mistakes, if possible.

Got it oiled up now, and will mess with it more tomorrow afternoon.

Another question.... I bought some Aussie leather conditioner... Will that be applied afterwards, as a final finish? Or later, as a "touch up" to keep the leather supple?

Or not really at all?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but hey, at least I'll gie the people who don't respond something to laugh about...

Edited by TerryJ

Not a dumb question. Some people do use it as a fianl finish. After wet moldng your holster should be pretty firm. When you oil it you should do just a finger tip aplication. You are trying to put a little nutrient back into the leather. You should not use enough oil to soften the holster. If you use Aussie ,others can chime in here because I don't use it at all. Apply light coats. Again this is a holster you do not want to make it supple.

Your questions are not dumb they are essential in doing things right. We have all been there. None of us was born with a swivel knife in their hand other then maybe Al Stohlman. :)

Edited by camano ridge