TomSwede

My take on a feather

Yeah, that demo really got me going for a take on a raven feather. First try, did have some troubles keping the lines with the hariblade but I think it came out ok.

I was surprised how fast it was to make. I just went through the demosteps and dyed it black. No stiffener yet.

Thank you Johanna and Jim for putting this one up. Sometimes US is not so far away;-)

Tom

feather1a.jpg

feather1b.jpg

post-5146-1226538127_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1226538140_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomSwede

You're a fast learner, Tom! That turned out pretty cool, especially for your first try.

And yeah, the internet has brought the continents a little closer together, hasn't it?

Kate

wow tom, thats great...i feel a feather mask coming on...

Hey thanks you too!! Well the feather felt just like the kind of fun you can have with the leather and that's a great mood to be in when you wanna learn.

I think it came out ok so very happy with it.

Now what Kate said is really cool about a mask and feather combo. Go for it Roo. I'm gunna have to focus on customers now and bring in some money. I'm really in a bad situation moneywise.

Tom

whoa nice job !! how long it took you ??

Thanks SmoothZey!! 1 hour and half or so, I did take a long break before final molding but sumting like that.

Tom

Tom,

Great job on the feather!

When I have done black feathers, I have used a product I get at an art supply store called interference blue. It is a powder that when mixed with an acrylic finish like Satin Shene and painted over your black feather, gives it that hint of blue, just like a real raven's feather does when caught in the right light. If you have access to such a thing, give it a try. I'll bet you'll like what it does.

Jim L.

Tom you're a feather weight! LOL. Great job. I've been wanting to try one too.

Art

Tom,

Great job on the feather!

When I have done black feathers, I have used a product I get at an art supply store called interference blue. It is a powder that when mixed with an acrylic finish like Satin Shene and painted over your black feather, gives it that hint of blue, just like a real raven's feather does when caught in the right light. If you have access to such a thing, give it a try. I'll bet you'll like what it does.

Jim L.

Oh thanks alot Jim!!

Gonna look for it because this has puzzled me all night!!! I really want to get that bluish shine to it because it may land upon a true raven lover (just like me) so I really would like that realism. Hope I can get it. Swedish market is a bit limited compared to US. Maybe Tina knows something about this.

Tom you're a feather weight! LOL. Great job. I've been wanting to try one too.

Art

Thank you Art! He he that's the only thing featherweight aboue me, he he :blush:

Tom

cool feather brother!!...make enough of'em you can fly your ass across the pond and catch some minnesota pike :guitar:

darryl :cheers:

cool feather brother!!...make enough of'em you can fly your ass across the pond and catch some minnesota pike :guitar:

darryl :cheers:

Ha ha thanks bro!!

It's a plan!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Your first feather turned out really nice!

As for the powder Jim mentioned, if there are stores that cater to scrap bookers over there, you might want to try them. My wife has some powders called Pearl Ex that work well mixed into paint, or into super sheen. They give a cool "shimery" look when trying to paint phesant (or buffalo) feathers. I think you might really like some of the metalic powders for some of the coloring you do on your bracers too. Here's a link just to show you what is available and a little of what you can use them on.

Hi Tom,

Your first feather turned out really nice!

As for the powder Jim mentioned, if there are stores that cater to scrap bookers over there, you might want to try them. My wife has some powders called Pearl Ex that work well mixed into paint, or into super sheen. They give a cool "shimery" look when trying to paint phesant (or buffalo) feathers. I think you might really like some of the metalic powders for some of the coloring you do on your bracers too. Here's a link just to show you what is available and a little of what you can use them on.

Thank you Clay!!

Those look really interesting, we'll see what economy allows this winter. I'm gonna have a really tight budget from now.

There's is a good online Swedish store for this kind of stuff and I think they have some of those products but prolly other brands so gonna have a looksee there.

Tom

I'm gunna have to focus on customers now and bring in some money. I'm really in a bad situation moneywise.

Tom

So when did you move to the States Tom?????????????? (just a little "our economy sucks" humor there!!)

It looks great!!! ....and you should wear it in your hat. I think I'll have to do one for my hat too.

The one thing I have never understood is why do some call them ravens and others crows????

I've never called them ravens in my life......always crows. I think its a geographic/regional thing more than anything.

'Cause I'm pretty sure its the same bird!!!

Good Job TOM!!!!!!!!

Tim

So when did you move to the States Tom?????????????? (just a little "our economy sucks" humor there!!)

It looks great!!! ....and you should wear it in your hat. I think I'll have to do one for my hat too.

The one thing I have never understood is why do some call them ravens and others crows????

I've never called them ravens in my life......always crows. I think its a geographic/regional thing more than anything.

'Cause I'm pretty sure its the same bird!!!

Good Job TOM!!!!!!!!

Tim

Thank you Tim!!!

Ha ha sorry to say my economy situation is not out of sympathy with you guys;-) but a result of a few bad decisions but off course your economy will to some degree affect mine too.

I'm sure this one will find it's way to someone who really appreciates it and I will make more of them but I'm sure they will all head the same way;-) but I'm thinking about maybe ganging up a bunch in my entrance hall. Good therapy job to make those since I hav lots of looow and blue days at the moment.

For a viking there is a BIG difference between a crow and raven, answer lays in Norse mythology but I can say this, sitting silent in the forrest hidden from the ravens eyes and just listen to two of them talk to each other is fantastic and seeing one up close...they're quite alot bigger than a crow.

Tom

Here's an interesting article on the Crow & the Raven, interestingly the Raven lives for 30yrs compared to a Crows lifespan of 8 years - http://www.diffen.com/difference/Crow_vs_Raven