archer55

Any Quality Production Saddles?

Hello. I'm sure more senior forum contributers are tired of this topic, but...

I have been combing this site for information about saddle quality and what constitues quality contruction. I know most experts here hold a low opinion of production saddles, and seemingly for good reason. I have been looking for a quality saddle in a 16.5" seat with "FQH" bars/tree with a budget of $2250 (firm), with no luck. Got close, but no luck.

My question for all you saddle makers and repairers: In your experience, are there ANY production saddles that show more elements of quality construction, than what is normally expected/observed?

For example, I have been eyeing some Reinsman Ranch saddles - http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/reinsman-ranch-saddles.html

The shop manager told me that they use 20 guage seat strainers with built up leather ground/shaped seats, Hermann Oak grade 2 and occasionally grade 3 leather, stainless hardware, Precision Kevlar-reinforced trees w/lifetime warranty, etc. The guy was honest enought to tell me that they do use roofing nails (sparringly) in construction some aspect of the saddle.

So what say you? ANy good production saddles out there? I will mostly be using it for hunting, trail riding, and maybe some light roping. I also ride dressage, so don't mind a a balanced seat either.

Thanks.

At that price range there are plenty of really nice saddles for sale.

Just google "Custom Used Western Saddles". Regards Billy

PS

Roofing nails in my mind shouts "cheep"

As far as new saddles in that price range, best ones are McCalls, Reinsman, Billy Cook, Courts. You would be better to look for a used handmade by a reputable maker.

Billy H: That's what I do every day, still no luck. And I agree roofing nails sound cheap (but not being a saddle maker, I don't know if that is actually the case or makes a difference).

kseidel: Thanks for your feedback. I found a used McCall Association that was in great condition and a 16.5" seat, but sadley has semi-quarter horse bars. not big enough for my 1/2 quarter, 1/4 Freisen, 1/4 Percheron gelding.

Again, thank you both!

CO Saddlery hasn't built a quality saddle in 50 years

Hello Archer 55,

I believe you will be best served following Keith's advice of going with a solid used rig from a reputable maker.

However, in the event that funds are just not available for that expense I could recommend Corriente saddles. I spent a few days in a couple of their wades on a ranch in SW Saskatchewan. They sweated up the quarter horses he had good, were pretty comfortable and the guy who owned those saddles routinely ropes yearlings so I know the hold up all right. They are fairly inexpensive.

That is the route I personally went - I purchased a lower end but pretty well built rig and rode it for a couple years until I could afford to build my own 'custom' rig. The lower end saddle kept me riding and it actually fit horses pretty well. It wasn't something I would have wanted to rope anything big off of. I did hock some calves at brandings off it a few times and it held up fine. The bottom line is it kept me riding horses - After I had built my 'custom' rig i sold it for just a little less than what I paid for it to a trail rider.

Now having a saddle that really fits horses well and really fits me well I'd never ride anything less than a custom rig.

Anyhow, just some ramblings.

Ron L

I have read a bunch about Corriente. The bottom line seems to be that it is a decent saddle for it's price ($700 or so). However, it seems that while some are good, some are so-so and some are bad and sore horses. I read one person saying to get a "custom" Corriente, not an off the rack one, and your chances of getting a bad one were lower. No personal experience here - just passing on what I have read.

I have seen a lot on here and other sites about corrientes saddles and have bitten my tongue up to this point. I would run from them like my skin was on fire. I have had several in for repairs and never found one with a square tree. They use some sort of plastic to plug the skirts. They use staples to hold the rawhide to the tree. The last one I had in had no stirrup leather grooves because the staples had pulled out and the rawhide had pulled loose from the tree. I'm sure there are some serviceable ones out there but I would not be willing to gamble on getting one. They sell a new saddle for way less than my material cost. This tells me quite a bit about their quality. That being said, it's still a free country so buy what you want.

CW

Thanks for all the information everyone. I think I have finally found some saddles in or near my price range, but would like you opinion on the company's products before I take the plunge.

McCall - http://www.jacksonswesternstore.com/saddles/saddles/mccall/pendleton-association-saddle

Also, how decent are the late John the Saddle Man's saddles?

McCalls are very well thought of in the circles I run in. All of the ones I have personally seen were solidly built out of good material. Timberline tree's is an offshoot or sister company and I like their trees as well. I'm not familiar with John the Saddle Man, so I can't say on his stuff.

Good luck, Josh

Just to add some thought to your search----------- remember that the horse you are buying this saddle for is a mixed breed and I will bet that he has some fairly wide shoulders and maybe a shorter back. You might find that the standard tree will not fit well. So if buying make sure in writing that there is a return agreement if the saddle does not fit correctly. If buying a used saddle you need someone with saddle experience to look over the rig and make sure it is safe for use.

This site has so many folks with years of experience in not only saddle making but also saddle fitting---------- Keith Seidel Master saddle maker, Rod and Denise Nikkle who are tree makers and the list would go on and on with names. One thing that drives me crazy is folks will ask advise just like you have and then buy a saddle off the so called shelf and come back crying that the saddle sores their horse and ask what can they do to fix the problem. If they would have just listenend to wise suggestions from folks like who I mentioned they could have prevented a bad experience.

You might want to post a picture or two of your horse and see what feed back you get on saddle fit. That doesn't cost you a dime and is worth a bunch. Either way I wish you good luck in your search. Regards Billy

Billy H,

I have wondered if this horse would need a tree made with shorter bars. I've include some older and not great photos. I'll upload better ones this weekend if needed because it's dark before I get home during the week. Thanks.

post-59537-0-95212000-1423527405_thumb.j

post-59537-0-16097700-1423527418_thumb.j

McCall is probably one of the best production saddles out there.

CW

I was good friends with John the Saddleman, he made lots of saddles. If you can pick on up you will not be disapointed

archer 55,

I can't tell much from your pictures, but maybe someone else might.

I agree with CWR ,Josh Ashman and Keith that McAll saddles are a pretty decent production saddle. The site you gave at $2,400 surprised me if they are advertising as new. Its been a while since I looked at one but when I priced them they were closer to the $3,000 mark.

Maybe they have a less expensive line these days.

Curious what saddle you used on this horse before starting your search?

Don't know what part of the country you live in but Brighten Saddlery in Colorado has a bunch of McCall saddles. The owner "Roger" used to own part of McCall Saddlery and has about 30 years of experience fitting saddles, might be worth a call. Regards Billy

My opinion for what it is worth would be to find a young custom maker that is trying to build their reputation, you should be able to find someone that would build you a Roughout that fits in your budget, i would sooner ride a plain handmade saddle than a tooled up factory rig

As a not so young but still fairly novice saddle maker you may or may not get a better rig from a new maker compared to a "factory" rig. Some things like a balanced rigging and functional design might come better on a production saddle that was built by people with plenty of experience and tried and true designs. Certainly I'd pick the first saddle I built over any mass produced saddle like a Corriente, HR, TexTan, Longhorn, etc. But a good Billy Cook or higher end Cactus might be a little harder to pick between and a McCall would be far better than my first or second saddle by many standards. To be clear my comment has nothing to do with tooling or being fancy, just a proven workable design properly balanced and put together with quality material.

Good luck with your saddle, Josh

EXACTLY what Josh said! I see some pretty terrible first, second, third, fourth,etc......saddles from novices, and I would feel safer in many production saddles over some of the "handmade" rigs. I know my first ones weren't much to brag about, and maybe they still aren't, but what I see coming in from so called "saddlemakers" is pathetic. I'm sure there are many good saddles out there by little-known makers that are quite functional, but just because a saddle is "handmade" does NOT make it a good saddle. You have to evaluate each one by itself. Good luck to you.

I apoligize for taking so long to get back here. I decided to go with a McCall for now. I really appreciate everyone's advice....except now I've been buying a bunch of leather/saddle tools and am set on making a saddle myself. So here I go down this long and expensive road....

Thanks again!

Glad to see you found a saddle! I hope it fits you and your horse well and you can get some good riding in---- in the end that's what it's all about. Regards Billy

I think you will LOVE your McCall archer. My father-in-law just got one and he LOVES it. So do a few other cowboy friends. They swear by them.

For everyone else, not to bash, but I'd stay away from Billy Cook. It's not the same company it was years ago. My first saddle was Billy Cook. The saddle felt great to me. After 1.5 years of new pads, changing a bunch of stuff around, and in general a lot of frustration, it continued to cause multiple sores (white spots, swelling, and non-sweat spots) on my horse at the time. It caused the same things on my wife's horse, and my next horse as well. So, called to deal with them, they were not nice, told me I didn't know how to use a saddle and wrote me off. So much for their "100% satisfaction guarantee". Luckily, the saddle shop I bought it from returned some of my money, took it to a saddle class, they tore it apart and found a few defects in it. Moral of the story, I will NOT ever look at a Billy Cook saddle again. Just my .02.

After returning my Billy Cook, I got a Saddle Barn saddle. It's alright (no problems on either horse or me), but it's tiding me over until I can build my own.