Bekkalynne

Artist To Create A Unique Belt For Me

Hello! I am in need of a creative leatherworker who is able to turn a design concept into a reality. I am in the Grand Rapids, Michigan and to the south area and would like to work closely with this person. This belt is unlike any other on the market, it uses more leather than most so I'm completely unsure of the cost but have money set aside to start this adventure. I have only shown a few people close to me and already have 3 buyers in waiting! I have quoted them a very rough retail estimate of 200.00.

Take a leap of faith with me!

A picture of your dream creation would help a great deal.

Hi, have you got any further details of what you need please? A picture or sketch will help.

Regards

Godfrey

Bekka, without seeing your belt design it is hard to give you a quote. Leather is super expensive, especially good belt leather. I charge around 175 for mine and they are tooled and painted. To add extra leather would make them even pricier.

However, if there isn't a ton of tooling needed, that can mean less labor, which means it could still be good deal. If you want someone to work with, let me know. I am in Maryland for the next few months but I live in Oregon. However with Skype or FaceTime, no one is really that far away anymore are they?

If you want to see some of my stuff let me know. My email is kfr1942@yahoo.com

I'm sorry but my design will be my secret until I meet with the right person and sign some agreement(terms). Was really hoping to meet someone close to home, but thank you for your replies and advice as it is much appreciated!

Hi Bella I too am located south of grand rapids by about 45 miles. I have pick up leather crafting again after a 30+ year break lol. Without a bit of further info I am not sure if I would be able to help you, but please feel free to pm me and we can see if there is a possibility of working together.

Regards,

Scott

No offense, Bekka, but that's known around my area as buying a pig in a poke.

Whoever wants to help you needs to know at least some general details and a rough idea of the design to be able to give you a quote.

Like Katiefiorito above pointed out, leather is quite expensive.

Speaking for myself right now, I can't tell you whether I'm the "right person" (meaning I'm able to carry out your design) if I don't know a thing about it.

Again, no offense, but that's how I see it.

Godd Luck with your search!

Black Dogg

Bekka, there is always the option go purchase some leather and just make the belt yourself, since you've already quoted a price which seems to leave very little room for profit for anyone else to make it. We'd be happy to help you learn the steps to producing your belt design, so that in the future you wouldn't have to 'outsource' anything.

You should never quote a price if you have no concept of how much it will cost to make it. You research the cost first before putting it out there to people to buy. You won't find anyone to do this if they don't know the work involved. It is like me saying I want a dream house built but they have to tell me how much before I show them the plans. There is not a contractor anywhere that will do it without knowing what it will cost them first.

Well, let's put it this way - there's never a secret if it's been known between two parties unless one of them dies. Ok, enough joking. I had the idea of an automated driving protocol once. I wasn't able to code it myself and kept it a "secret". One or two years later some guy brought the exact same idea on the market and became rich. The only difference was, he went out and got some help. In other words, you will have to disclose your so called secret to someone. Further, in most of all cases you'll find something that's kind like already on the market. Just have to search hard enough and the market is huge.

I'm definitely not the person to carry out your design. Belts are not my department. At least not yet.

And maybe this little note on the end. Even if you disclose your design to others, there are two things to consider. First off, mark it copyrighted, which it is anyways as you created it (called intellectual copyright) and second, even if someone else has the design he/she doesn't necessarily have to be able to make it or make it the way it is intended to be.

Okay, so many helpful replies, glad I found this site. Much appreciated.

On a different note I don't know if any of you have heard of the innovative new company called Quirky, but last April an idea that I had submitted was chosen by their staff on Live Eval , I was announced as a "Quirky Inventor". Wow I was elated! I was chosen out if thousands of submissions, sooooo Quirky sat on that idea(now 10 months) and I see on amazon the slightly altered version of it is for sale, by a guy who contacted me stating he wanted to blend his unchosen idea with mine. I declined and this is what I get. So that's why I might seem a little gun shy. I'm excited about this belt design and confident it will sell, I will do the research on leather costs, and "hourly"? rates for the leatherworker. I wish I Was talented enough to make this on my own but kinda feel like I'm an old dog who can't be taught new tricks lol.

A Dreamer At Heart,

Thanks again everyone!

I live south of Grand Rapids in Plainwell and would be interested in talking with you further if you're still looking.

-Mary

1 hour ago, MaryBradyLeather said:

I live south of Grand Rapids in Plainwell and would be interested in talking with you further if you're still looking.

-Mary

I hope you realize that this topic was 18 days short of 2 years old when you posted your reply.

I only noticed that after I replied, sorry.  

27 minutes ago, MaryBradyLeather said:

I only noticed that after I replied, sorry.  

:(