This is one of the last holsters I stitched by hand. Shortly after building this holster I acquired a Toro 3000 and have done little hand stitching since. It was also one of the first times I'd done any basket weave stamping - something that still drives me crazy.

post-41563-0-68301100-1423463624_thumb.j

Nice looking holster. I would have brought the basket weave down a little bit more toward the bottom so the border meets the basket weave. Other than that it is great.

Beautiful work, that hand stitching is amazing. I like the tooling just as it is.

Dave

Thanks.

Rohn, I'm not sure I get what you mean. Bring the weave farther down the holster with a larger reinforcement piece or just farther down on the reinforcement piece? Are you talking about using the stitch line as the border?

Looks good, nice stitchin'.

Nice work, basket weave looks good to me.

Stu

Nice looking holster. I couldn't do basketweave on a bet. Never really cared for it so I never put any effor forth to learn how.

Edited by doubleh

Really nice work on the pancake holster Modad.

Very nice!

Very clean work.

I like it just as it is.

Joel

I guess he means the reinforcement piece. More to the left hand side where didn't do that additional step to finish of the weave. Not everybody will notice it and it's only 4 or 5 times.

But I guess he's critiquing on a very high level as this a very nice holster.

Thanks for the kind words. This one was always one of my favorites that I've ever done.

Ahhhh, I made the picture bigger on my iPad screen, and now I see the basket weave in question.

Yes I agree, I, myself, would have brought the weave pattern down closer to the edge also.

The size of the camo stamp used does hide the missing strokes well though.

Overall,

I still like it just as it is.

Joel

I dig it! Making my first holster this weekend. Question: I see holsters with and without the reinforcement pieces. What exactly does the extra leather on the outside of a holster 'reinforce' ?

Not being facetious, I really don't know.....

Nick, it greatly depends on your design and the use as to what you want to reinforce and if there's an actual need to. If you look at this specific one here, it'll reinforce the stability of the outside leather to stand up to the pistol wanting to pull to the outside. You may have to tilt the picture a little clockwise to see what it does, as this would be the way how it'd be worn on a belt. Personally I'm missing a keeper, which would hold the gun in place, but that's a different story.

You could also use heavier leather, but that would make the holster uncomfortable. Therefore a reinforcement is added.

Add me to the fan list - nice work!

I dig it! Making my first holster this weekend. Question: I see holsters with and without the reinforcement pieces. What exactly does the extra leather on the outside of a holster 'reinforce' ?

Not being facetious, I really don't know.....

Keeps the mouth open for when you holster the weapon.

The main purpose is, as BubbaJon stated, to keep the mouth of the holster open. Not really as much of a necessity in an OWB holster. I will, often times, put a reinforcement piece on for aesthetic reasons as much as structural. Great way to add contrast.

Thor, are you talking about a strap? This is actually a concealment style holster and the retention comes from the wet molding and tight stitch line. I don't usually put a strap on a concealment/defensive use holster.

Edited by Modad2010

O yes, sorry I mixed it up. Nothing to bother about as it's really just me and the way I've been taught about guns, safety etc. I also have a tendency to loose things...