Rock

Big Hole In A 3 Inch Strap

Hello everyone

I know someone got the answer to my dilemma, I saw some serious intelligent answers here. I only have a PHD ( Public Highschool Diploma) I'm making a guitar strap 2 3/4 inch wide and the costumer ( my 16 yrs old niece) want a few hole in the middle with seal skin inlay. I have the Seal skin but how do I do the big hole like 2 inch diameter so it is clean can I use my drill press with a 2 inch bit the round one that we use for cabinet maket for the hinges?

Any help will be great.

This tool might be worth it if you're planning on doing more. Pair this with an X-Acto knife and you'd have nice circles.

http://windfiredesigns.com/Tools/CircleTool/index.html

Maybe a less expensive route is cut around some big fender washers from the hardware store?

Edited by AndyL1

The one time use answer is to get a piece of pipe or conduit and sharpen it with a grinder. Drive it through. It will not last long, but will make nice holes.

If you already have a drill press and a circle cutter, yes - you can use that. I wouldn't use a spade bit, but a hole cutter would be fine (moderately fine tooth and sharp)

Electrathon gave you the cat's meow answer.

Piece of conduit about 10 inches long, . . . lay one end up against a disc sander or a belt sander, . . . go slow, . . . sharpen it on a bevel back up about 3/8 of an inch, . . . take a round file to the inside when you get done, . . . cut your holes in the strap with another piece of scrap leather under your guitar strap.

I make almost all my punches out of pipe, conduit, or tubing, . . . figure I've probably saved about $500 or so over the last 10 years. Plus I have some unique punches that nobody but me makes (that I know of).

Here are a few of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-90139800-1423531407_thumb.jp

Edited by Dwight

Good evening

Thank you so much for the answers, a trip to the store tomorrow and I'm getting some pipes, but now I need to showel the driveway again, anyone want some free snow? You pick it and it is your...lol

Piece of conduit about 10 inches long, . . . lay one end up against a disc sander or a belt sander, . . . go slow, . . . sharpen it on a bevel back up about 3/8 of an inch, . . . take a round file to the inside when you get done, . . . cut your holes in the strap with another piece of scrap leather under your guitar strap.

I make almost all my punches out of pipe, conduit, or tubing, . . . figure I've probably saved about $500 or so over the last 10 years. Plus I have some unique punches that nobody but me makes (that I know of).

Here are a few of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's really cool! I have made my own punches out of sockets before, but this looks way easier and cleaner. How long do those hold an edge? What kind of conduit works best?

To the OP, you can try the hole saw but I have some concerns about how clean the edge might be. If it's 2" diameter though it will be big enough for you to clean it up with some sandpaper and burnishing.

The hole saw will tear it up.

When punching it is best to use end grain wood under the punch. I use the ends of 4x4s at work when I have to punch a hole. Cross grain can dent, and dull the edge. End grain just let's the punch edge bury in between the wood fibers. Use a soft wood like fir, or pine.

Here are a few of them.

May God bless,

Dwight

That is awesome! Love the different shapes you made. I'd like to retract my reply above! Haha!

Surf the Net for 'compass cutter'

Regarding the DIY punches. Will the edge stand up better if hardened? Can they be hardened at all? If I'm putting a 3/4" pipe in a vise will that work out to a 1" slot punch, or am I on the wrong track?

In regards to hardening them.

1st conduit has too low of a carbon content to harden, but it could be case hardened.

2nd conduit is galvanized, which is zinc plating, and the fumes that it gives off when heated are toxic.

3rd they are so inexpensive that when one becomes unserviceable you just replace it for pennies.

Regarding the DIY punches. Will the edge stand up better if hardened? Can they be hardened at all? If I'm putting a 3/4" pipe in a vise will that work out to a 1" slot punch, or am I on the wrong track?

Honestly, Thor, . . . I don't remember, . . . but if you do make slot punches, . . . use a piece of flat stock inside the conduit, . . . you can cold hammer it and make the sides really nice and parallel. IIRC, . . . the 3/4 conduit makes a little over a 1 inch slot punch, . . . and the 1 inch makes almost a 1 1/2 inch punch.

I don't mess with trying to harden or case harden them, . . . the zinc coating can screw up your lungs bad if it is burned with a torch or if it gets too hot some other way, . . . and anyway, . . . they sharpen so quickly & easily, . . .

Most electricians have some laying around, . . . or you can go to a big box store, . . . get a stick of 1/2, 3/4, 1, 1 1/4, 1/1/2, . . . they're all 10 feet long, . . . should last you several years, . . . and should be less than the price of one fancy store bought punch.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the feedback. You're absolutely right about the zinc poisoning. I forgot about the zinc plating. The electrician part is only true for North America. Over here here it's plastic if above surface and only in commercial buildings. Usually they are in the walls due to building code. Sometimes things suck...

I will have to get some plumbing pipes or ask the plumber for some scrap pieces. But that'll work and thanks a million for the advice with the insert. I wouldn't have thought of that.