b2k

Singer 29K71, Need Help To Evaluate Her

Hello peoples,
I've acquired a singer 29k71, complete of a lot of bobbins, parts and such for the scant sum of 200€, circa 230$.
Now I need to evaluate if there are missing pieces and such.
Following there are a bunch of photos, if someone could help me by spotting missing parts, damaged zones or such, I'm a total newbie regarding leather sewing machines.
Also I need to know the maximum leather thickness sewable by this machine, and any pitafalls, tips or tricks useful for use her at best.

Thanks a lot in advance!

post-26954-0-13145400-1423583392_thumb.j

post-26954-0-44823600-1423583395_thumb.j

post-26954-0-71898900-1423583401_thumb.j

post-26954-0-84214300-1423583405_thumb.j

post-26954-0-55223900-1423583408_thumb.j

post-26954-0-33358300-1423583411_thumb.j

post-26954-0-74744500-1423583414_thumb.j

post-26954-0-10632700-1423583418_thumb.j

post-26954-0-92439400-1423583420_thumb.j

I can't tell you if anything is missing based on your photos. You'd need to do close ups of the various areas.

As for capacities, I have the same model in my shop and can tell you that they cannot exceed 1/4 inch, or 6mm on your side of the pond.

The thread size should be kept at T70 bonded thread.

At least the thumbscrew of the bobbin winder are missing. Some larger and more detailed picture would help.

A while ago I have restored the same machine so you can get and idea here:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=56079&hl=29k71

Edited by Constabulary

ok, here another batch of photos, including al the parts I was given together with the machine, of wich I don't know nothing.

post-26954-0-63442500-1423597811_thumb.jpost-26954-0-72055000-1423597816_thumb.jpost-26954-0-73112900-1423597822_thumb.j

post-26954-0-85944300-1423597826_thumb.j

And another batch, from other angles

post-26954-0-30635200-1423597898_thumb.jpost-26954-0-56731900-1423597903_thumb.jpost-26954-0-55824200-1423597909_thumb.jpost-26954-0-87639200-1423597914_thumb.j

And the last batch of photos

post-26954-0-88108400-1423598011_thumb.jpost-26954-0-08002600-1423598017_thumb.jpost-26954-0-57299900-1423598023_thumb.jpost-26954-0-09046300-1423598032_thumb.j

So far I only see that the thumb screw for the bobbin winder is missing.

On picture 4 are some useful spare parts like needle plate + shuttle carrier (both on the far left side) and two extra shuttles (n the lower right corner=. Everything else seems not to belong to this machine. Anyway - when the spare parts are good and the machine produces stitches longer that 4mm I think it was a good deal for 200€. Seems you also have a flat bed attachment for it. So I´d say its a good deal but the machine needs a good cleaning as it seems. ;)

But what you probably need is the threading wire:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Threading-Wire-For-SINGER-29-4-29K-29U-Class-Sewing-Machines-8590-2-Pack-/161577390252?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item259ec350ac

Where are you from? Since you wrote the price in € I guess you are from continental Europe, right?

Edited by Constabulary

Yep, south of Italy. I acquired the machine from a shoe repair shop clearance sale.

I can find the thumb screw and the wire on college sewing?

Thats why I asked - yes, College Sewing hast the parts. The thumb screw is par # SS469W and th threadingw ire part # 8590.

Thanks a lot! I will order the parts today, in the meantime I will clean and oil the old lady. The rest should be in working order, or so the shop owner told me. Can't wait to try some stitches

I would first clean it, then make a test to see how it is performaing. So you may need some more parts when the stitches are very short!!!!

When these machiens are new they produce about 5mm long stitches but when some of the parst are worn then you probably have just 4mm stitches (thats not too bad) or just 3.5mm or even less and then you should probably repace some more parts.

Cleaned, tested, max stitch lenght of about 3mm. I'm planning to disassemble, clean the gears, and idenrify worn parts. Any tips or pitfalls I should be aware of?

Cleaned, tested, max stitch lenght of about 3mm. I'm planning to disassemble, clean the gears, and idenrify worn parts. Any tips or pitfalls I should be aware of?

3mm is not very much!!!! :( Id´first clean it thoroughly and then test again but don´t expect too much progression from just cleaning it but you should do it anyway.

I just have posted a download link for a service manual + parts list of the 29K71 in this thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=57862&p=398341

It will be very helpful for you I think!

I recently have restored an older model of the 29K (much much older than yours) and I got longer stitches by replacing this part:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82167-FEED-MOTION-BELL-CRANK-LEVER-SINGER-29K

I would assume that when you replace the above part and this part here:

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/82053-FEED-MOTION-RING-SLIDE-BAR-SINGER-29K

you get a much better result. But I can´t tell you how much longer the stitches will be. But these two parts are responsible for the stitch length.

Considering the "relatively low price" you have paid (in Australia people have to pay approx. 3 times the price you paid if I´m right) I think it is worth the investment. This is at least what I would do. Maybe someone else has an additional tip for you.

The 29K´s are very simple machines, there is not much that can go wrong.

BTW - I guess you know how to adjust the stitch length at your machine, right? You should have it set at to the max. stitch length of 5 SPI (Stitches per Inch) then measure again.

The manual I have linked will give you good instructions.

For cleaning I'm thinking to use nitro solvent, since many parts are really gunked up. Or it's better to use something else?

Very nice manual by the way, will be very useful, many thanks!

Buying new cheap parts is not always the best choice to fix stitch length. On my 29k51 I used a spot of brass on the one piece and filed it to fit the groove in the other one and now get longer stitches then they claim on here to be possible. It seems that the parts made now just are not made to the close fit you can get by hand fitting. And with the right needle plate and needle you should be able to use up to 207 thread. I have been for 25 years. In mine I never use thinner then 138, you can, but I have never needed thread that thin.

I also run 138 tread in my 29K71 - always! The needle plates are often marked with 23 for coarse needles. So 138 is no big deal and 207 thread seems to be possible but I never tried it. Due to the tiny bobbing you will not get much of the ticker thread on it but when you use the machine for repair work it should work.

I always use some sort of Nitro solution for cleaning the old gunk but you have to be careful on the outside. But usually the old paints are very tough and withstand a short contact with Nitro solution w/o problem.

A bit of thread necromancy here:

I have had the machine cleaned up and tuned by a service shop, for the moderate price of 65 euros.
Now, with thinner thread it works great, but as soon as  Itried using a thicker one it starts skipping stitches, sometimes on in 20, sometimesa five in a row. Also it appears that the needle can't always pick up the thread from under the plate when threading the machine, sometimes it picks the thread, sometimes after a couple of tries, other times I have to manually put the bobbin thread up trough the plate hole.

The thread is around 0,8 millimiters thick, not quite a millimeter and more than half. It is a polyester bonded thread.
Any tips?
Also, how thick is thread #138? and with wich needle it should go?

1 hour ago, b2k said:

A bit of thread necromancy here:

I have had the machine cleaned up and tuned by a service shop, for the moderate price of 65 euros.
Now, with thinner thread it works great, but as soon as  Itried using a thicker one it starts skipping stitches, sometimes on in 20, sometimesa five in a row. Also it appears that the needle can't always pick up the thread from under the plate when threading the machine, sometimes it picks the thread, sometimes after a couple of tries, other times I have to manually put the bobbin thread up trough the plate hole.

The thread is around 0,8 millimiters thick, not quite a millimeter and more than half. It is a polyester bonded thread.
Any tips?
Also, how thick is thread #138? and with wich needle it should go?

According to the needle and thread chart on the Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines website, #138 bonded thread is:

.0163" (.414mm)

That is the maximum size thread for your patch machine, although it is foolish to load heavy thread like this in a tiny bobbin. It requires either a #22 or #23 needle. I have the same machine in my shop and limit it to #69 bonded thread.

On my Singer 29K70 machines, I always put the thread up through the needle plate hole by hand as I pivot the NP back into place.  Avoids getting a trapped thread tail, or it being out of place [for the hook to catch it].  Edit: (Should have said "for the top thread to bring it up cleanly.)

CD in Oklahoma

Edited by cdthayer
Wrong wording....

I should mention that if b2k is using a large needle, like a #23, he should rotate the throat plate to place the large hole under the needle.

65€ is not much for a machine repair, what have they done with it?

I think 0.8mm thread is too thick for this machine. The metric thread size should be mention on the thread spool.

Patchers are often overrated - they are very versatile but they are not heavy duty machines. Thick thread above 138 (20 metric) does not make much sense with these machines and will probably stress your machine - if you are able to run this thick thread at all.

Anyway -  check the position of the needle. Sys. 332 needles should have the long grove left and short grove right and the needle eye should face straight right but you can play with it a little bit with the angle. Probably move the needle holder a bit closer to the hook. I´d also check the hook timing and the condition of the hook tip.

Edited by Constabulary