TVvoodoo

Your Latest Noob To School

Hello, my name is Brad. I am a total amateur as far as real leather work goes. I have been sewing guitar straps for a few years now, made mostly from repurposed leather jackets and stuff.

I am using a "hot-rodded" Singer 185J, for sewing which I hope can last me for a bit longer.

I recently purhased some tools, (and there is so many more I suddenly realize I need) adn some bellies and am beginning to start on working

on some veg-tan straps. I am here to learn from y'alls on tooling tips, and dying, staining and other finishing.

I am a member of several guitar forums, so I am no stranger to the fun world of hobby/fetishes LOL -I started into strapping in making

theme/custom straps for my own custom finished guitars, then it sort of branched out from there.

Last weekend I tooled and finished my very first guitar strap from zero - it made me at the very least NOT want to dump my tools in the round filing cabinet.

Here's some pics - I am not too proud for critique, I know I have TONS to learn. First off, I have to learn how to hold my tools so that my hand

doesn't cramp up so bad - I also need to figure out that whole stropping thing, and get some rouge and keep my knife sharp.

Also, I think I might be using the wrong tools for the right job, or viseyversy

outlines_zpsevytqscj.jpg

extreme%20cu_zpsdhsmsvor.jpg

staining_zpsndmoiafe.jpg

join%20closeup_zpsxxpr0sut.jpg

I think I will be repurposing this silly flower stamp. I will not be using it EVER again. So cheeze.

back%20symbols_zps4xusca4j.jpg

wide_zpsx6rjw01j.jpg

other tools I know really need, edge bevelers, some different stamps... some more dyes, and the right finishing solutions.

Anyway, as this is my first post, as a dedicated forumite and digital citizen, I look forward to contributing to and learning from

you, my very crafty brothers and sisters... Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forum Brad.

There is a whole wealth of information on here.

Yeah, keep that knife sharp, it's important and it gives you a lot more control. A good investment for me was a filigree blade for more intricate carving, handy if you tend to work on smaller projects.

Keep up the good work.

Hello Brad, where is the great white north? Alaska, Canada, Sweden? Welcome to the forum. Did you find the action on figure carving yet? Guess you'll like it just like I do and all the sudden you realize how many more tools want to get :-)

Have fun on here

Welcome here! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

thanks brothers-appreciate the encouragement - I'm in Canada BTW - lots of long cold winters and super short daylight hours, so hobbies are kind of a good thing to have

I was looking back in my profile and saw I posted in the member gallery over seven years ago. I'm still working mainly on guitar straps, leather, fabric, other materials - at the time it was a hobby, now it's pretty much full time. I enjoy being my own boss so to speak, not quite a starving artist, but kinda hungry? I'm done working for the man, in my late 50's but I figure I can still make income for another 20 years or so at this, maybe more if my eyes hold out.

Not tooling as much as I'd like as the return on time investment is a bit of a gamble. Maybe if I was better at it. About two years after my first post here I picked up a Consew RB1, and that really helped me level up my game. 

Anyway, here's some more recent things out of my shop

80vUkUZ6_o.jpg

AJ32CjXB_o.jpg

Zh4NIYzQ_o.jpg

ZeFSymo5_o.jpg

RB30FEqW_o.jpg

IsVyORwR_o.jpg

5OMZhRaR_o.jpg

5P9CV1H2_o.jpg

osBBSwjD_o.jpg

About 30% of my work is full custom, by now I've been at it a long enough time to start to make a bit of a brand, most of it online sales. I've gained some inroads to a few area guitar shops eager to show my work, and they provide the odd custom referral. With the stores, it's a tough game though. To carry my stuff I have to leave good meat on the bone for them and deep discount, but it's still a way to expand my brand and move online platform dead stock that's been sitting too long. I also plan to attend a guitar show in October, which would be my second one of those. The shows are arduous and chaotic, the travel and preparation is a real time suck!

This fall I felt it was time to branch into rifle slings. I took a look at my community noting there are about four or five times more hunters than guitarists so this should bump up some local sales, at least I hope. I am ever the optimist. More often or not i come of with a cool new design, flesh it out, make a bunch, then do my thing with writing snappy copy, take great pics and list them, only to have it all fall kind of flat on me. Maddening!

I'm also going to rent some local tables in November, see if I can't move some slings maybe a guitar strap or two at local Xmas craft sales, hopefully gain some custom work by showcasing in front of the public.

Much more comfortable making and selling guitar straps than gun slings as I've been a steady guitarist since my my early teens, but haven't held a hunting license since about age 16 or so but we shall see. Trying some some out of the box stuff because I feel my brand needs to be a little different - I see so much stuff out there already that seems so very similar between makers. Maybe that's also a mistake?. Won't know until I try!

mNu4Esj6_o.jpg

7vRmxpeH_o.jpg

If anyone has any questions, fire away!

Nice looking work the @TVvoodoo. Are you running a web page yet? You can put the link here as well which may help. Welcome to the pro world :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Nice looking work the @TVvoodoo. Are you running a web page yet? You can put the link here as well which may help. Welcome to the pro world :thumbsup:

No I don't maintain a web page.

I am using a platform site, Reverb.com - which targets musicians, as well as a bit of advertising outreach via digital programmatic and retargeting.  I do spend about a hour a day doing social media too, guitar focused forums just like this one, facebook, reddit etc.

I tried branching out into etsy (they own reverb) for the slings recently, but I couldnt' work my way past some of the business registration issues. I do have a fully legit business but for some reason they wouldn't accept my business number... all this stuff is automated these days, and try to get somebody on the phone for customer service? Sheesh!

Here's my reverb.com store LINKY_WINKY if anyone is interested in checking it out. I am pretty proud of my near 750 five star delivery/feedbacks. 

thanks for your kind comments

Those are nice looking.  On average how much do you charge for one of them?

8 hours ago, TVvoodoo said:

No I don't maintain a web page.

I am using a platform site, Reverb.com - which targets musicians, as well as a bit of advertising outreach via digital programmatic and retargeting.  I do spend about a hour a day doing social media too, guitar focused forums just like this one, facebook, reddit etc.

I tried branching out into etsy (they own reverb) for the slings recently, but I couldnt' work my way past some of the business registration issues. I do have a fully legit business but for some reason they wouldn't accept my business number... all this stuff is automated these days, and try to get somebody on the phone for customer service? Sheesh!

Here's my reverb.com store LINKY_WINKY if anyone is interested in checking it out. I am pretty proud of my near 750 five star delivery/feedbacks. 

thanks for your kind comments

Good targeting with the Reverb store and excelent reviews. I dont know your competition prices but at a glance I think you may be marketing too cheaply. At lest 30% up should be alright I think. I found when I started to do some price rising of recent times that I have actually increased sales. I think as long as your quality is top notch people are quite happy to spend and support you. I cant think of many brand names that are well named because they are so cheap except for ones I would not want to own myself.

3 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Those are nice looking.  On average how much do you charge for one of them?

nevermind

Very nice!! It looks like you came a long way from 7 years ago! This is inspiring to me.