bjefferies94

Firefighter Radio Strap?

So ive been making leather frontals for fire helmets. I am wanting to take on radip straps and other straps for firefighting. But before i went and ordered leather i wanted to know what is the best size leather for making straps? I was thinking 9-10 ounce maybe but not sure.

Any input would be greatly appreaciated

Instead of asking leather workers, you may want to ask the people who will be using them what their preference is.

I do both I'm thinking either 7/8 or 8/9. I'm about to make my first radio strap but if I would have to guess the basic Boston leather one I got is in that range. What width are you going with?

If it helps put it into perspective I just built a truck belt out of 9/10 oz leather and it was perfect for the job. It's thick enough to hold my axe and keep shape, however I think that it would be way to think for a radio strap.

post-48459-0-72839200-1423631120_thumb.j

Edited by B shift

As a "retired" firefighter I would say there are only two things that are important. First it has to stand up on a call. Second any additional weight on you sucks. Besides the fact that there's a pouch on the turnout gear for a radio - I cannot speak for other departments, but I wouldn't have allowed it to others wearing one on a call, as it poses an additional risk of injury. We only accepted radio pouches to be worn on the belt. And that was only for first responder calls, where we wouldn't wear turnout gear.

Looking at others I would say 7/8 oz. is just fine. However, if they are to be used on a call they would have to have a certification by the respective authority. Contact the one for your state and ask them, if it isn't based on a federal code.

Good luck

Thanks to all for the replies. B shift I probably will go with 8 to 9 oz. and make them an inch and a half wide. And for me I love a radio strap because it is easier to use. I always put mine on under my air pack so the entanglement hazard is mitigated

I had made mine with an 8//9 oz drum dyed hide and found it a bit thinner than say the boston leather ones. I made mine 1" wide with all black hardware. Since I dont have a tandy anywhere near me it sucks not having the ability to hand pick exactly what you want. From here on in im ordering natural veg tanned 9/10 oz sides for all my leather work.

@thor , Not all gear has radio pouches stitched in and varies from dept to dept. For US there's really no regs for radio straps unless there are specific mandates by your dept. A growing consensus is that use of a radio strap underneath your turnout coat is the most beneficial means of carrying a radio (I disagree but I still use mine when making shoe runs)

Edited by JerseyFirefighter

Im a fireman and new to leather working and looking into making a personal strap for myself.. ill let yal know how mine turns out... but i saw how some of yal use yals strap and wanted to tell yal how we don ours and why... we have pouches in our gear but its only velcro that holds it. And ive had a fireman who lost they're radio because it just fell out and that could have been very bad... we put ours on under our coat and pull the mic out from the top and clip it to to the out side of our gear right under our mask.... being under the coat protects the radio from some of the heat and helps it not get snagged. Hope this helps a brother!! Stay safe boys!