Hello all,

I am fairly new to leather work within the last couple of years and I am making leather radio straps for the fire service. I am looking to ramp up my operation. I like dying the leather myself to achieve the color I want. I have been dying them by hand and I finished the backs and edges with edge kote. I am not the satisfied with this process. I use Hermann oak and I am very satisfied with it. I have been looking into "dip dying" so I could do 100 straps at a time and I am thinking I wouldn't have to apply and edge kote to them anymore and finishing the edges would be much easier.

I just want to make sure the dye will set in well and I can't have any rub off onto shirts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kale

only one or two members that i know of do any dip dying. but you shouldn't have a problem with dye rubbing off as long as it isn't black. that will always rub off unless you use feibings oil dye. it comes in black and brown.

i guess i should have read a bit more closely. you're concern is rub off onto shirts or clothing. this is tough to control and the only way i know of to control it is to seal the item after dying.

Edited by ramrod

I am using feibings oil dye, and I have been spraying acrylic resolene on them afterwards

If there is any other way to dye holsters, belts, guitar straps, knife sheaths, cell phone holders, . . . than dip dyeing, . . . you couldn't prove it by my shop.

If it ain't dipped, . . . it ain't dyed.

ALWAYS rub down your product, . . . if you are using Feibings oil dye, . . . cut it 50% with their thinner, . . . put some water on the edges with a damp sponge after you have beveled them, . . . burnish them, . . . put on the Resolene, . . . you will love the product.

That is how I do all my stuff. Edge cote is junk, . . . so is gum trag, . . . IMHO, . . . a simple water / friction burnishing, . . . followed with Resolene, . . . makes a beautiful and durable product.

May God bless,

Dwight

PS: Don't get in so much of a hurry either, . . . then you won't double and triple post on here.

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight!

new to the site maybe i will figure it out. That's what i was hoping to hear. I think i am on the right track

Definitely dilute your dye when dip dyeing. If you are working with thinner stuff, you may find some small warping or stiffening. Always rub off excess dye and rub in some neatsfoot. Do give a day or so between each process.