Zacharyc

Leather Connection Manuals

Anybody read through these? I am very hesitant to spend $97 a pop on four books that come in a zip file format.

In case you don't know what I am blabbering about. Here's the link

http://www.theleatherconnection.com/id57.htm

He has some very convincing testimonials on there, but that doesn't do much for me. All I keep seeing is $100 and "ebook" I just can't justify that in my head. Any info on these manuals would be greatly appreciated!

- Zach

Just a heads up the last time I emailed the site (3-4 months ago) there was no reply. There was a member that offered to sell me the manuals and he was saying that francis, the owner of the site has some health issues. so there is no guarantee that you will get the ebook once you click buy.

From what I can tell from these are the only ebooks/manuals available of its kind that is still in circulation. To save costs they are done in ebook form.

He says they redress the old ways so they won't be lost to future generations. Sounds like another repeat of Al Stolman's stuff thats fairly cheap at Tandy, I could be wrong but thats the impression I got.

Well I hope Francis is doing alright! I emailed and tried to get in touch yesterday but haven't gotten a reply.

That's the impression I got too! Another al stohlman book that teaches me how to make a shotgun shell case with a duck carved into it. Don't need or want that!

I am looking for a book that teaches me construction notes. Own quite a few of them...leather working manual al stohlman. I have the Valerie Michael book. I own a whole slew of these japanese books I paid an arm and a leg for (not worth it by the way) and various other books. Seems a lot of books I buy are really vague or refer to other volumes of books. Just looking for a solid leather working book to give me insight into the construction of bags and wallets. Haven't found it as of yet. The al stohlman books are okay at best. But I have no interest in tooling. Anybody have some recommendations on books. Written in English.

I don't think there is really such a book out there. All the books teach you a little bit, the rest the information you need to gain on your own. What I've been doing, is finding something I like, buying it and taking it apart to learn how it is constructed. Though Anymore I think you need to goto china or a third world country to learn many of these skills.

Just a heads up the last time I emailed the site (3-4 months ago) there was no reply. There was a member that offered to sell me the manuals and he was saying that francis, the owner of the site has some health issues. so there is no guarantee that you will get the ebook once you click buy.

From what I can tell from these are the only ebooks/manuals available of its kind that is still in circulation. To save costs they are done in ebook form.

Here is the link to the previous discussion:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53929&hl=stelmack&page=2

...and David L was sent some pages from the three books, so you can ask him what he thought.

Bob Stelmack.

Thanks bob! I'll ask him. As of now I am leaning towards a no. It seems too much of a gamble to blow that kind of money. Digdugg18 I've been known to rip apart a Salvation Army purse or two. But so far I've learned that they are cheap horribly made purses I don't want to remake. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some good books and post here if I find anything good. That Valerie Michael book seems to be the cream of the crop for me. Found some places offering classes online, but man are they expensive. There's a place in California you can go to "school" and learn from a lady who worked for hermes but the classes are outrageous in cost. No wonder this trade has been vanishing.

Couldn't find the pages on my computer.. I would refer to Stelmack as he most likely read the books.

If I remember correctly I read on the website or from stelmack that Valerie michael was a former student of Francis from the manuals you are referring to so he does have credentials if that is true. It was a long time ago that I read this so.. I may be wrong.

The first manual had things like costing and material assessment. It looked to be more for those looking to do this as a business vs other books that are just for hobby.

Edited by DavidL

There's a place in California you can go to "school" and learn from a lady who worked for hermes but the classes are outrageous in cost. No wonder this trade has been vanishing.

The classes are aways full, the students produce some fantastic work, Its one of the few places in the world that you can learn this type of leather working, wouldn't say the cost was outrageous at all

Oh how I wish I had an extra $3500 laying around so I could go take a once a week class halfway across the country. Not outrageous at all!

post-36015-0-91754400-1423839658_thumb.j

I'm getting off topic now. If anybody reads this, and knows how to get in touch with mr Francis. Or has these manuals for sale. I'll buy them from you. Thank you!

want to show me somewhere else in the world you get taught Euro leather working techniques by an ex Hermes artisan for less ?

look at what the students produce, looks like good value to me if thats the quality you can potentially produce afterwards

Courses are always sold out, might not be cheap, but seems there are enough people who consider it good value

Valerie Michael also offers a shorter course, cost per day is pretty much the same & you have today for materials on top

https://www.leathercourses.co.uk/product/bags-design-construction-of-leather-bags/

anyway, back on topic. I doubt those books are going to cover what you need, its really so much easier being taught in person, especially for making bags, reading is one thing, someone teaching you as you do it is so much better.

I'd try & hunt out a class or two local to you.

It's probably a great class. I'm just upset I'll never be able to afford that. Or really any classes for that matter. So it has to be books for me. Frustrating. There's really no local classes here. Ever heard the term "the sticks" or "the boonies" that's where I live. More livestock than people. You are definitely right about being shown how to do something as opposed to reading it. I read about gussets and turning allowances and different types of skives all day long. Can I do it? No.

hmmm, only other thing I can suggest is maybe youtube ?

I'm getting off topic now. If anybody reads this, and knows how to get in touch with mr Francis. Or has these manuals for sale. I'll buy them from you. Thank you!

Well, I have them for sale. Here are the details (shipping only to USA):

I have volumes 1, 2 and 3 in hard-copy. They were $97 each. You should be able to purchase those three volumes for $97 each in electronic (PDF) form from www.theleatherconnection.com , but as many have discovered there has been no response from that site at this time. I will sell my unmarked, hardcopy, excellent condition all three volumes in a 4-ring A4 binder for $97 plus $11.30 for flat rate shipping to the USA.

You can pay in various ways:

(a) If you have a PayPal account, you can send the payment to the PayPal account ( leathercover1990@gmail.com )

( B) Send a Personal Check or Money Order, drawn on US bank funds, to:

Desert Leathercraft LLC

2532 Banyon St.

Richland, WA 99352-4117

Returned checks subject to a $25 service charge.

...or...

Call and use VISA or Master Charge via the PayPal system (requires name, card number, expiration date, billing address, CCV code and email address for receipt) Note: Information will taken over the phone 509-392-2589, do not send in any email message.)

In any case, be sure to provide a shipping address.

Hope this helps.

Here are the contents of the three volumes:

No. 1 Basics, Straps, Belts, Handles. Hand & Machine Sewing, Paring, Cutting, Costing, etc. It contains information & tips never given before. The use of tools & the fundamental methods used over time to produce a neat & craftsman like finish are often overlooked these days. They are certainly not adopted by most or the producers of, Belts, Dog Equipment & other Strap makers. The only places you can find well made items of this nature are goods produced by a Rural Saddler. The General Leather Worker/Craftsman is now all but extinct as they were the only Leather Workers capable of Hand Stitching. Indeed we took this to a higher degree than the requirements necessary to make horse tack as we included other methods of hand stitching like Corner Stitching.

No. 2 Light Leathergoods Part 1. Wallets, Notecases, Purses, dealing with every aspect & type of construction. Plus further information on Cutting & Costing. Every example is taken through from it's cutting, assembly procedure, sizes of all patterns are provided, the making of assembly jigs are included & finally all examples used have their own individual material costing to show how this is achieved. A range of items has been selected to cover every aspect of construction from, Cut Edge or Raw Edge as it is sometimes termed, to Turned Edge.

No. 3 Light Leathergoods Part 2. Small Boxes, Cylindrical Objects, Gift Ware, Jewel Boxes & Cases, Writing Cases, Etc. Examples of Built Up Work, Block work, Molded Work, Zipped Articles, etc. Again many areas & subjects never fully covered before. The subject of making the wooded carcase for the jewel boxes is also fully dealt with. Again the range of objects selected covers all the skill relating to this area of leathergoods & will enable the participant to learn all the skills needed to make a full range of goods to their own design. This manual is however more advanced than the previous two & making sequences are now excluded as everyone should by now be capable of working out their own assembly methods.

Some sample pictures:

post-82-0-48949000-1423853254_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-23704700-1423853242_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-96198800-1423853304_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-00347900-1423853336_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-22748900-1423853269_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-95374200-1423853281_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-47002400-1423853319_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-91546100-1423853345_thumb.jpg

Bob Stelmack

There is an out of print book by WC Double called The Design and Construction of Handbags it is well worth looking for especially if you can find one to borrow - I borrowed it from our local library - as it goes through the construction of bags etc. but it can be very expensive to buy. As it was published in the 60`s the designs are dated but the information doesn`t date. It was recommended by Val Micheal when I did one of her courses some years ago.

Hey fellas, older thread so I am probablySOL but did the manuals ever get purchased? Still no respond to email at leather connection. If you still have them Stelmckr I would be grateful to purchase them. Thanks

Hey fellas, older thread so I am probablySOL but did the manuals ever get purchased? Still no respond to email at leather connection. If you still have them Stelmckr I would be grateful to purchase them. Thanks

Having not had my email returned by Bob, I decided to buy one of the volumes from Francis and received it, no problems at all.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can ask him to email you. He seems like a nice fellow.

Does anyone else own printed out leather connection manuals or pdf. I would like to purchase them for a price. Send me a PM.

25b when did you get a reply. Last time I tried there was no reply.

Edited by DavidL

Does anyone else own printed out leather connection manuals. I would like to purchase them for a price. Send me a PM.

I think there is a line already...

Does anyone else own printed out leather connection manuals or pdf. I would like to purchase them for a price. Send me a PM.

David, I sent a PM to the buyer of the manuals and told them of your interest. I also remember offering them to you last year, but you never got back to me. I checked all my PM's and emails before I sold them and didn't find any indication you still wanted them. Sorry.

This morning.

Again, if you want to PM me your email address, I will let Francis know you'd like to purchase manuals. He has asked me not to disclose his personal email address though, so I shall not...I will let him know you are interested in his manuals if you want though and I'm sure he will reply to you. I have no affiliation with him other than as a customer.

David, I sent a PM to the buyer of the manuals and told them of your interest. I also remember offering them to you last year, but you never got back to me. I checked all my PM's and emails before I sold them and didn't find any indication you still wanted them. Sorry.

Yes, I should have gone through with it the first time around. Hopefully their will be a reply from the buyer.

25b if you can pm me that would work. I tried to PM you but a message showed up denying the message.

Update: By the next day of purchase I have been sent the manual. I purchases number 4 which is fairly difficult to read and not as easy to follow along, not the content but the way it was written. You may not have difficulty following along, however it is different than seeing a video or even a step by step book. It is still a good manual seeing as francis does reply daily if you need clarification or for him to check over your work.