Zacharyc

Leather Connection Manuals

Update: By the next day of purchase I have been sent the manual. I purchases number 4 which is fairly difficult to read and not as easy to follow along, not the content but the way it was written. You may not have difficulty following along, however it is different than seeing a video or even a step by step book. It is still a good manual seeing as francis does reply daily if you need clarification or for him to check over your work.

Oh, good. So you did finally end up trusting me and buying a manual from him. Glad it worked out for you. I knew it would.

25b I did end up buying the manual, I figured I may be able to get a refund if there was no response. I don't mind gambling within reason.

Id like to hear from those that own manual 1 or 2. Is it enough "trade secret" or fundamental information?

Edited by DavidL

This thread is terribly old, but others may find this topic by Googling those manuals (as I did).

For those people, here is a tiny review of what to expect/not expect from those manuals.

First, they are worth their price.

Second, they are not easy to read.

Third, the author indeed has the credentials claimed.

Imagine you had a chance to listen to Al Stohlman, or Verlane Desgrange, or Amy Roke, or Sam Lucchese, or some other favorite world expert. Reading this book is like listening to the transcripts of a professor's course... which is generally organized but at times can wander. The manuals could use someone to rearrange/edit so that related content was grouped together. You have to dig, but the gold is there... in abundance... more than any other books I've found. In fact, unless I was specifically (and only) interested in tooling, carving, braiding, saddlery, or shoemaking, I would take these manuals over the whole library that Tandy offers. If I wanted only those topics, I'd buy other books to accompany these. But for wallets, belts, straps, holsters, and any fine goods, flat goods, boxes, cases, etc., the information in there is second-to-none. You just have to dig for it.

That said, they won't make an artisan out of you any more than watching karate videos will make you a martial arts expert.

Hi All, 

I came across the Leather Connection site only yesterday. It seems that Francis Burnett-Mills sadly died 2 years ago. I wonder if anyone is now selling these manuals, or are they now lost to us?

hoping someone can help

kind regards

David

I was taught by Francis in the early 1980s, and knew of the Leather Connection, but always thought the manuals were good but a little pricey.

I understood the rights to the website and materials had been purchased by a commercial enterprise in the US. I haven't looked into who.

Having reviewed the thread...

Mr Mills was Senior Lecturer at The Cordwainers Technical College, London.

He taught classic production, and factory management, so his bias was such that you learned benchmade styles for limited runs, as well as machinery use, material sourcing and product costing/break even points etc.

He was a very highly regarded craftsman in the UK, and taught many that are now Master Craftsmen in Guilds in London and elsewhere.

Ps. It was Burdett-Mills not Burnett-Mills.

Harry

Edited by hwinbermuda