handsw

Mixing Fiebing's Pro Oil Dyes Using A Scientific Method

Usually I use only black and dark brown colors to dye my works but I have read that mixing Fiebing's pro oil dyes is possible so I wonder if I can apply a scientific method to obtain certain colors. Pro oil dyes come in a limited choice but can I use the RGB codes to create new colors?

Example: according to RGB percent codes, to obtain the turquoise color I should use 6% red, 87% green, 69% blue (I suppose that the percentage means that I have to dilute the base color till I reach that value)..

Someone could say "try and see on your own" but I don't have the basic colors and I will buy them only if I have the certainty that this method works.

So has anyone tried it?

Sorry it won't work in this way RGB is only for screens (monitors,tablets,tv's, etc) it represents red, green and blue of the light spectrum, CMYK is what is used for real world materials such as printing inks, paints, dyes. You would need pure dyes of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black to be able to do it in the way you are thinking of and the pro oil dyes don't come in these colours.

The closest off the shelf dyes that I've come across that might be able to do it are the Craftsha water based dyes from Japan but the blue isn't a pure Cyan so it will knock out the ratios for any colour that has Cyan in it and won't give the true colour. The Selladerm dyes should be able to do it but they aren't an off the shelf purchase for the base colours, you can get some colours. But again not the Cyan.

Al Stolman has a chart just for what your talking about. It's either in the pictoral or figure carving finesse book, they are for spirit dyes but I don't see why they wouldn't work for oil dyes.

I have checked the Stohlman books but they are not useful. I have also made a deep research on internet and there is no system I can use to mix real colors and obtain a certain color.

However I have one last method : the empiric one.

I am quite sure that mixing blue and yellow, the result will be green, but mixing red, yellow and blue, will I obtain some kind of brown? If yes, it is only a matter of proportions and I will do many experiments to find the exact formula for different shades of browns and other colors.

I knew that fiebing oil dyes were spirit based, despite the name, so I think that using normal alcohol I can brighten up every color.

Having been a student of the Al Stohlman methods for decades I find it hard to believe that his books on coloring were not helpful. His methods and explanations were very detailed and results oriented so you may not have been reading the right stuff. He had two books out that dealt specifically with the coloring aspects and how to get the in between and custom blends and they were both specifically oriented to the Fiebing's product line.

And for those colors that aren't covered in any book, just tinker with the color blends and test them on scrap leather until you get exactly what you are looking for. And don't forget to track what you did to get that color; makes it a lot easier to repeat it when you need it again. I use the same type of syringes and tips that you can find for use in refilling inkjet cartridges and I mark down how much of any one color that I use so that I can just go the bottle and get what I need the next time I need that unique shade. Science doesn't have much of a role here but the creativity of one's mind is the master.

Experimenting is fun, but

two factors come into play when mixing colors - too much black, and no white.

Each dye has black as a base pigment. so when you mix red and yellow (for instance) you're mixing red, black and yellow.

so you'll most likely need more yellow than you thought.

The thing about getting brighter colors is you need white. since black is the base pigment, you can't get there.

dilution with alcohol is just that - a dilution. It makes the color more transparent but not brighter.

Lord only knows what that feibings White stuff is, but it's not a spirit dye.

Cheers!

Having been a student of the Al Stohlman methods for decades I find it hard to believe that his books on coloring were not helpful. His methods and explanations were very detailed and results oriented so you may not have been reading the right stuff. He had two books out that dealt specifically with the coloring aspects and how to get the in between and custom blends and they were both specifically oriented to the Fiebing's product line.

I haven't found useful the books indicated by Troy Burch, maybe others are more complete as you say.

The thing about getting brighter colors is you need white. since black is the base pigment, you can't get there.

dilution with alcohol is just that - a dilution. It makes the color more transparent but not brighter.

Good point, however I think the only thing I can do know is to try it myself.

I think the white is only good for touchup on things like white nurses shoes and such.

I sure does stink though!

I haven't found useful the books indicated by Troy Burch, maybe others are more complete as you say.

Good point, however I think the only thing I can do know is to try it myself.

Might I suggest that you check out Al Stohlman's Coloring Leather; it is probably the most informative book yet when it comes to the blending of base colors to create custom hue's and it covers so much more in techniques than most other books do. It is available as a downloadable PDF through the Leathercraft Library (another Tandy outlet); I still refer to my original print version every now and then but it was the first one that I received (about 35 years ago now) and I haven't found anything else that was as helpful.

Fiebing's also sells a book that is specifically geared towards their products and may also be of some help to you.

I have checked the Stohlman books but they are not useful. I have also made a deep research on internet and there is no system I can use to mix real colors and obtain a certain color.

However I have one last method : the empiric one.

I am quite sure that mixing blue and yellow, the result will be green, but mixing red, yellow and blue, will I obtain some kind of brown? If yes, it is only a matter of proportions and I will do many experiments to find the exact formula for different shades of browns and other colors.

I knew that fiebing oil dyes were spirit based, despite the name, so I think that using normal alcohol I can brighten up every color.

Did you see the how to make custom colors out of the basic colors chart? It gives you the exact formula for every question you have asked.

Might I suggest that you check out Al Stohlman's Coloring Leather; it is probably the most informative book yet when it comes to the blending of base colors to create custom hue's and it covers so much more in techniques than most other books do. It is available as a downloadable PDF through the Leathercraft Library (another Tandy outlet); I still refer to my original print version every now and then but it was the first one that I received (about 35 years ago now) and I haven't found anything else that was as helpful.

Fiebing's also sells a book that is specifically geared towards their products and may also be of some help to you.

Thanks, I will take a look at those books.

Did you see the how to make custom colors out of the basic colors chart? It gives you the exact formula for every question you have asked.

Yes but it uses acrylic dyes, not pro oil and the base colors are different (for example purple)