It took a while to get this done...a lot of time spent putting together the pattern, figuring the layout, and what step should be done when. But I'm really happy with how it turned out. I made it for my son as a school backpack and it should last him through graduation.

0218152039_zps83tbhwrl.jpg

0214151917_zpsruofe8gb.jpg

0215152144_zps2tfibldr.jpg

0218150008_zpsg3snbv0y.jpg

0218151352_zpsxk66g7z4.jpg

0218152040_zpsz7ts6o1w.jpg

0218152041_zpsrwwfwsju.jpg

Wow, I like this backpack. The only thing I don't understand is the little pocket in the front. Is it really just held by these 2 snaps? I'd be worried it would fall off easy in time.

What are the dimensions on this anyways?

Nice back pack. I really like the looks of it. Your son will get many years of use from it.

Wow, I like this backpack. The only thing I don't understand is the little pocket in the front. Is it really just held by these 2 snaps? I'd be worried it would fall off easy in time.

What are the dimensions on this anyways?

Thanks!

The removable front pouch is held on w/ 4 snaps...in the picture above they are hidden by the front flap straps.

The top snaps ended up being integrated in the buckles for the front flap.

0217152324_zps4rbfsahp.jpg

Approx. dimensions are 16" x 12" x 5.5".

Nice back pack. I really like the looks of it. Your son will get many years of use from it.

Thanks Rohn.

Very nice, a lot of thought went into that, and it shows...

Made a couple of updates to the backpack after my son (8th grader) had put some miles on it.

First, I made new shoulder straps, the single thickness straps weren't beefy enough for as much stuff as he carried around. I sewed two pieces together to make it double thick and made them 2" wide where they ride on the shoulders. Then I stitched two 1" wide pieces together for the bottom portion of the strap.

Second, I added some grommets and drawstrings to pull the top closed.

Third, if I were to make another, I'd double the thickness of the handle as well. He uses the handle a lot to quickly pick up / move the bag, and the single thickness handle is showing some significant wear. It's still holding up, but a double thick handle would be a lot better.

1214151640_zpso6jutok6.jpg

1214151730_zps9x1uwmq2.jpg

1214151642_zpscbhbfeiq.jpg

1214151642a_zpseyiq026i.jpg

Looks Great! Thanks for the update!

That's great! What was the thickness of the straps after sticking the 2 pieces of leather together? Did you sew them together with one big piece of thread or did you break that up?

Edited by Huginn

That's great! What was the thickness of the straps after sticking the 2 pieces of leather together? Did you sew them together with one big piece of thread or did you break that up?

Thickness ended up at 5 millimeters. I did break up the stitching. The straps are the two top 2" wide sections, and the 2 lower 1" wide sections. When I stitched each sandwich together I used two lengths of thread each starting in the middle of the bottom edge of each strap. Even trying to stitch one of the 2" wide straps w/ just one length of thread would have been a pain. :)