A close friend wanted a holster for his Winchester mare's leg (it was my Christmas gift to him) and he had some very specific requests--make it fit his favorite leather belt, show a maximum of brass finishes, make it very secure for carrying the gun, match the color of the leather to the stock and forearm, and lastly make it look somewhat rustic. After looking on-line, I came up with this design. This time I tried to make templates but went back to my usual process of plastic wrapping the gun and having at it with my pieces of leather. The holster itself was lightly wet molded at the trigger guard and rear sight.

I usually stain and smooth the back side of my holsters but because of the size and the idea of keeping it rustic, chose not to on this one. I'm a fairly green leatherworker having taken a beginner's class and then made a couple of purses and small handgun holsters for my wife, friends, and me and also have done some braiding and other small things.

My biggest problems on this project were clearing the rear sight for ease of drawing and re-holstering and staining/finishing the leather to match the wood. My friend is still considering a brass and turquoise concho to be attached with a screw to the round part of the securing strap at the bottom of the holster.

Any input and/or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

post-58709-0-26623500-1424376186_thumb.j

post-58709-0-52074400-1424376258_thumb.j

post-58709-0-67313700-1424376279_thumb.j

post-58709-0-49835200-1424376311_thumb.j

Looks to me like you did a fine job on that one.

Looks great. I agree, it's just beggin' for a big shiny concho.

Nice job. I had an inquiry for one of these right before Christmas and she needed it by Jan 10, which I told her would be difficult if not impossible. I've never made one and spent a lot of time looking on-line also, and was not very impressed by most of what I saw, but this looks nice.

That's a fine holster for a fine rifle. Looks perfect without the concho...I think that would just detract from the minimalist beauty of the rig.

That is pretty flippin' awesome, I like it...

Yep I agree looks awesome.

Stu

That is great! I like the ruggedness of it.