So I thought I'd take the opportunity...

I'm brand new to this, decided to make my own belt after drunkenly leaving my old one in a hotel room.

Here is my first go around. Used a pre-dyed, semi-pre-punched belt blank and some hardware from Springfield Leather.

Used an exacto knife to bevel the edges and (I think) quite a bit too much resolene/water 50/50.

25qrcb6.jpg

Version 2.0. Used just a pre-dyed strap this time, a template I designed on some CAD software to layout all the holes and slot, a proper edge beveler, and just one quick light coat of 100% Resolene.

ac53zl.jpg

n5kb61.jpg

kagprl.jpg

Feel like I'm on the right track. My question though is the final sealant. Resolene seems like it's letting nothing through, but do I really need that much of a seal? I'm feeling like it gives too much of a shiny plasticy look to the leather. I need some opinions on whether Acrylic Leather Sheen from Fiebings would give me a less shiny look, but still keep the dye in and water out?

Nice work on a first project. I use Fiebings Tan Kote on my belts.

Big difference between the 2 belts, 2.0 looks very nice. I'd kinda like to hear the story behind the drunken night where the belt got left in the hotel.

Stu

Big difference between the 2 belts, 2.0 looks very nice. I'd kinda like to hear the story behind the drunken night where the belt got left in the hotel.

Stu

Pretty simple story. Drove from the Seattle area to Portland with a couple younger guy friends that I met through my girlfriend (I'm 32 they're mid 20's she's 30 for the bigger picture). Went out bar hopping, and the night ended at a gentlemen's club since one of the guys had never been to one. Being the good non-judgmental patron I am (every job is important), I sat at the side of the stage and set my completely full, delicious, frothy amber ale, down on the little drink shelf thingy. Not but 30 second later did one of the dancers come over to do her thing, and kicked my full beer into my lap. Soaking my belt and pants. Luckily that was our last stop of the night and we arrived only 30 or so minutes before closing time, so back to the hotel, pants off, belt off to dry. Next morning in my hungover haze I forgot to put the two back together again and left the belt in the hotel room.

Your problem was too many coats the first time and full strength the second. I like my stuff to shine, but not look plastic. Resolene has never let me down. Cheryl

Nice work on a first project. I use Fiebings Tan Kote on my belts.

I'm with Rohn. I use Tan Kote as a top coat on most all my projects. Except first I'd apply a light coat of pure Neatsfoot oil and let it dry a coupla days.

However, I cut my own straps and do my own dyeing. Certain dyes can dry the leather.

I kinda like the finish it gives me.

chip7_zpse71cc9b8.jpg

rangerbelt_zps17e7571e.jpg

Edited by snubbyfan

So I thought I'd take the opportunity...

I'm brand new to this, decided to make my own belt after drunkenly leaving my old one in a hotel room.

Here is my first go around. Used a pre-dyed, semi-pre-punched belt blank and some hardware from Springfield Leather.

Used an exacto knife to bevel the edges and (I think) quite a bit too much resolene/water 50/50.

25qrcb6.jpg

Version 2.0. Used just a pre-dyed strap this time, a template I designed on some CAD software to layout all the holes and slot, a proper edge beveler, and just one quick light coat of 100% Resolene.

Feel like I'm on the right track. My question though is the final sealant. Resolene seems like it's letting nothing through, but do I really need that much of a seal? I'm feeling like it gives too much of a shiny plasticy look to the leather. I need some opinions on whether Acrylic Leather Sheen from Fiebings would give me a less shiny look, but still keep the dye in and water out?

Hey there!! First of all, great work!!!

Resolene is really all I use for a top coat....in the video below, Ian tests the most commonly available leather finishes on the market....after watching, I was convinced that resolene was the best finish for my purposes....you can be the judge yourself...it's definitely worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTg_hfpNUM

Secondly, I don't know if there is such a thing as a "light coat of 100% resolene" unless you are misting it on with an airbrush.......something you might try that works for me...

1. cut the resolene by mixing it with 1 part water: 1 part resolene

2. fold up a paper towel into a small square and wrap that with a cotton cloth (old t shirt works well)

3. cover the mouth of the jar holding the resolene with the cotton square and tip the bottle to get the resolene onto the cotton

4. blot the cotton lightly onto a paper towel (this helps to ensure that your first coat is light)

5. gently wipe the cotton with resolene over your work and let the first coat dry

6. apply additional coats as needed

you will find you have a ton of control of how much resolene you are putting on :) hope this helps!!!

Edited by thekid77