jlsleatherworks

Line 24 Snap ?'s

I have never used snaps but have a couple projects that need them. My question is about the post length, should it be equal to the thickness of the leather? I don't want to order the wrong size...

It has to be slightly longer, . . . if not, . . . there is no room for it to crimp over, . . . holding the other piece in place.

You don't say what you are doing, . . . but I very seldom need anything different from the bulk packs I buy at Tandy's.

May God bless,

Dwight

I'll mostly be doing knife sheaths and holsters maybe an occasional closure on a bible cover/pad folio or the like usually one layer of 9-10 oz or doubled 4-5 oz. The stuff that Tandy sells appears to have a 5/16" post I'm measuring 2 layers of 4/5 oz at a hair over 3/16".

I use the Tandy snaps on 8-10 oz consistently & have no issue with the post length. I've used it with leather as thick as 12 oz as well. With thinner leathers- around 5-6 oz, I've had to be careful when setting to make sure I get the post flattened enough to close the snap. Thus far I haven't had to trim the post, but I could see that as necessary if I were to go down below 4 oz in thickness.

If you have leather that is too thick, i have swapped the standard ln24 snap post for a long rivet post . All you have to do is file/cut/drill the end of the rivet post open and flare it a bit, and you can set it with the snap tool.

This comes in handy as well when you need to set a line20 on thick leather. Like a small keeper strap on a thick holster.
The other reason i do this is when i need a more finished backside, the double cap back is nicer and you can match it to the other rivets in the piece. (edit. the rivet is usually smaller diameter so is not quite as resistant to pulling through the leather as the snap back. Haven't had one come out yet. I like to jam the post into a really tight hole that i stretch a little with a round awl just before i insert).

Edited by TinkerTailor