DUNGEONSnDECORATIONS

Leather Stain Recomendations

I've attached a photo of a project I completed using Eco Flo Mahogany Leather Stain.

It seems this lovely color has been discontinued.

Could anyone tell me of a similar product? I would prefer a maroon color, but any information you could give me would be appreciated.

I'm mainly looking for something that settles into the tool marks and gives that nice outlined look my designs. I've tried fiebing's leather stain, and it just doesn't work as well, too uniform.

If not, does anyone have some techniques to share to get a similar effect with other dyes?

I haven't been doing this for very long so please be specific with brand names trade terms.

Thanks in advance.

post-60355-0-35836800-1425427994_thumb.j

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I've had results similar to that using Tandy Eco-Flo gel antiques. With either Saddle Tan or Tan I get colors very similar to that if I don't use a resist while antiquing. If I do use a resist (I use Wyosheen from Sheridan Leather Outfitters, but Clear Lac is the same thing) the leather ends up a lighter color but I'll still get the dark antique settling into the tooling. I think the Saddle Tan without a resist will end up looking close to what you show in your picture there.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Antiques whether Feibings or Tandy and Hi lite from Tandy are all designed to do what you want. You wipe them on then wipe them off leaving color in the depressions. However they may darken or color the surface areas lightly if you do not use a resist.

I found pictures that will show the difference. The first one is a notebook with Tandy Eco Flow Saddle Tan (I believe) with no resist. It's actually a little darker than it appears in this picture. The second is the same antique where it has been resisted with Wyoshene.

post-15714-0-94550900-1425491568_thumb.jpost-15714-0-60899900-1425491644_thumb.j

The second one is considerably lighter overall but got lots of darkening in the tooled areas.

The closest eco flow color to this in my opinion is timber brown.