Charles1

Pearson #6 Shuttle Dimensions And Profile

I recently purchased an old Pearson #6 (The British United Shoe Machinery Co. Leicester England) that needs to be cleaned up and tried out.

The shuttle appears to be in rough shape. Rather than lay out the many dollars that are required for a new replacement shuttle (quite a bit more than I paid for the machine), I'd like to try to repair the shuttle - to make it useable at least until I can test the machine.

I am contemplating this approach since I can see that the shuttle was previously repaired by welding brass (I think) onto the steel body of the shuttle and then filing the material to provide a working shape. Those repairs were done a long time ago because the shuttle has clearly worn down since then.

The point needs to be restored and I suspect that the back needs to be reprofiled - the previous repairs appearing to me to be have been done very roughly - possibly having been ground too much while removing the brass - thus potentially causing some significant changes in the shape from the original profile.

As well, while the thread tension spring is in place, the spring at the bottom of the shuttle (the one that presses on the bobbin) is entirely missing, so I'll need to make one of those springs as well and then rivet it in place.

What I would appreciate are quite a few pictures of a very good shuttle - taken from many angles - so that I can see what shape I have to produce as I add welding material to the shuttle body - as well as in making a spring to replace the missing one.

I would also like to get a relatively precise measurement of the overall length of the shuttle from the back end to the tip of the point to give me a proper length to work to.

If any of you could help by providing photos or the measurement, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Charles

Edited by Charles1

Hi Charles

Get in touch with Singermania, he is a regular contributor to this site. He probably has the largest collection of #6s and parts. He would likely sell you a shuttle in good condition for a reasonable price. I have a Pearson 6 and would send you pictures of the shuttle if I could download photos. Have to learn how to do that.

Good Luck Leo.

Hi Charles

Get in touch with Singermania, he is a regular contributor to this site. He probably has the largest collection of #6s and parts. He would likely sell you a shuttle in good condition for a reasonable price. I have a Pearson 6 and would send you pictures of the shuttle if I could download photos. Have to learn how to do that.

Good Luck Leo.

Thanks, Greenwood. I'll contact Singermania.