Small Shoulder Bag

Spitfire asked me for help designing a bag like the one pictured below:

image_zpsc5293496.jpg

The bag is 9"x 6" x 2-1/2"

The plot size is 36"x 24"

Enjoy

SMALL SHOULDER BAG-Paper.pdf

Edited by tboyce

Coincidentally, my little sis-in-law wanted this in black, and I'm in the middle of making it with her on the weekends. Thanks, Tom.

I see your feeling better Tom. The hits just keep coming. Cheers!

Was that one of your designs, Monica?

No, I have a collection of my favorite leatherwork images on pinterest, and I told her to scroll through and tell me if she saw something she wanted to make. She picked that one. But we dispensed with the strap and used a twist clasp instead.

ah

thanks tom,

i've got a couple of gal's asking me about small hand bags this will help in giving them an idea

THANK YOU !!!

Very appreciated!

Thanks Tom! I've been wanting to do one like this so now I have no excuses. If I manage to create anything worth the film, I'll post up some pics.

Thank you for sharing Tom!

Thank you Tom!

I'd use 7-8 oz for the main body and straps and skive the gussets to about 4 oz. However, I'd defer to Monica's opinion on that one. She makes the best looking bags here

Ha, nicest thing anyone has said to me all week, Tom, but I'm not sure I can agree it's true. The one I'm making right now is 6.5 oz for the body and gussets and I didn't skive it at all. I think it's okay. Some people might prefer a slimmer profile, 'tis true.

post-38542-0-63421900-1425827536_thumb.jpost-38542-0-68041200-1425827535_thumb.j

Not bad for a 13 year old, right? I cut things out, and she helped make the holes and sewed it together.

It looks great! It's always fun to see this art take root in the heart of a young one. I remember working in my shop(garage) last summer and a kid from the neighborhood stopped by to see what all the pounding was going on in there. I showed him the western belt I was making for a niece and he knocked on my door a couple nights later asking me if I would teach him. One of the most rewarding things you can do

A 13 year old? WOW, that's great Monica, your sis did a wonderful job!

To skive or not to skive?

I'm not sure which way is 'correct', the scale looks right to me but one thing for sure is you won't be seeing any of my results in here! :blink:

EDIT - I was thinking neice for some reason but saw that you said sister in law - sorry.

Edited by Wicked Welts

Ha, yeah, I had her do all the edge finishing, too. I'm going to dye the edges on the strap, and then hand it back over for a week with some more saddle soap. :-D It's fun when someone else gets to experience how much work it is, and then how proud you feel when you carry around something you made yourself.

@Wicked Welts - niece, sis-in-law, usually the same thing in terms of age. It's all good. But you should definitely post your stuff. Half the fun is showing your progress. It also helps other new people see how you got from not as good to better, and that can be extremely encouraging for everyone.

Good point, I should do that. It's always nice to see what others are doing, especially with the patterns that Tom does for us.

Bob P's edging tutorial provided the encouragement to step up my edge finishing and I'm glad you put her to task on that. It's a lot harder than it looks but it looks like she done good!

Hey can someone help me out?  I'm trucking along with this pattern and have everything cut out/holes made and I'm about to stitch down the closure strap when I see that the placement of the Sam Brown button makes no sense on the pattern.  When I look at the finished bag, it looks WAY lower but in the pattern it's literally one inch from the top.  Am I reading it wrong/is it accurate and it will look fine in the end/is the pattern not right?  Wish I hadn't made that hole now if it's the last case.  :( Maybe I'll put a decorative rivet there if it is a misplaced hole.

I do believe you are correct; the hole for the Sam Brown is too close to the top edge.

Mount one of these [link below] in that spare hole on your bag. It would be handy for clipping things like key rings to

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10pcs-Brass-Rivet-Studs-Screw-Fastener-Screw-Stud-Round-Head-Ring-Leather-Craft-/222859962824?var=&hash=item0

Ooh, that DOES look handy!  Being impatient, I already put a crystal rivet in the spare hole.  Figure someone would like it.

I have never made a bag and this pattern looks perfect for my first try at it. I see from Tom's post that the pattern is 36' " x 24". I don't have a plotter, just a basic printer. Just wondering what you all do to print the pattern out in full size with just a printer?

A pattern like this can be made up in almost any size.

I print out on A4 and take the printed out page to my local library and use their photo-copier to enlarge it