delonybro

Yet Another Guitar Strap Question

Ok, after contacting various manufacturers and be turned down (understandably), I'm taking it upon myself to make a guitar strap out of one of my snakes that died. Booger was a Gaboon Viper and they've got an incredible pattern to them.

I've included a photo of a strap I'm looking to replicate and my question is this. 1. Does anyone know what weight of leather I would use for the top and backing leather that the skin would sandwich in-between to make a durable strap? OR, would it work to use the Tandy strap kit as a backer and then top it with another leather?

I'm very much a newbie, but would also like to put this skin to good use. Thanks for any help!

The Skin

B9nv9OU.jpg

What I'm hoping to emulate:

NEPzvT9.jpg

I am a newbie here too... and just starting to work more with chrome tanned leather. The strap in photo looks like a very thin leather. It probably has either a thicker back or some sort of filler/support inside, as thin- chrome tanned leather won't hold up over time. The snake skin is most likely glued to this backing before sewn to top. I would first make a strap without Boogers skin (awesome scale pattern BTW) and get a feel... then when you created and fixed all the errors, make one with your beloved's skin. There is a section here on patterns, where you could get a GS pattern.

I had a customer send me a full alligator skin to make a handbag from. I had that skin for over a year and finally sent it back... Couldn't bear to cut into it!

Good luck... ~Tara

www.etsy.com/shop/sevenannine

www.facebook/sevenannine

Hello all

Your first "cut" is done on the main strap exposing a hole in the guitar strap. Then you will need a bigger piece 1/4 inch bigger then the hole. about 3/5 oz leather . The shake skin is then glued on this part and glue on the back of the guitar strap, the sewing is done around it. Then a full piece on the back of the guitar strap "chap leather" 2 OZ.

You will never see the second part the 3/5 oz leather just the sewing on the front.

that method is call inlay you can even put a piece of leather deer, mouse ect,,,(spongy) between the skin of the snake and the snake will look like it is standing up or "popping up"

I did a few so far and the demand is very high, I learn that from a DVD I have best $120.00 spend on a movie

PM me and I may be able to provide very good details.....

I mean moose not mouse...lol been a long day yesterday

I mean moose not mouse...lol been a long day yesterday

I kind of like the vision in my head of a kind of burly guy sewing a tiny little mouse hide!!! LOL