emo chair

Hello From South Africa

Welcome !

And look forward to seeing them.

Welcome to the forum!

Where in SA are you? I am in Stilbaai.

Glad to meet you here. Join the group Leathercraft South Africa Leerwerk on fb to meet more of us. Keep contact.

Hi , I am also new on the forum, from Kroonstad , South Africa. We have a tannery and manufacture veg tanned leather.

Yes I can e-mail you our price list. Don't have a catalogue, but if you are interested I can sent you a sample of our product. Like I said we manufacture veg tanned leather using only south african bovine hides. the product is of high quality.

Hi my Fellow South Africans!

Welcome to the forum - we are a couple of "rainbow nation" leather workers on this forum.

I am from Paarl

Edited by dirkba

Hi to all the South Africans, I am from Middelburg MP.

Well golly, might as well throw my name in here as well!

I am from Jozi (South) :)

One of my former bosses back in 1999 was from Cape Town, he said it's a hell hole. How are you guys holding up?

Hi everyone,

Seems us Saffers introduce ourselves by saying where we're from, eh? :rolleyes: So I'm in Johannesburg, North-western side of the city, although I make the daily trek to the Jozi city centre to earn a living - and so I can afford leather, tools, dye, stamps, thread... ;) Yeah, right.

I'm not completely new to working with leather - it's crossed my path a few times over the last 50 years or so - although I have started actively making stuff about 18 months ago. I learnt a basic saddle stitch from Oupa (Grandpa) as a young laaitie but discovered that I've been doing it either badly or just plain wrong from two sources: leatherworker.net (a.k.a. Leather School, IMHO) and from Mr Bloch of P Bloch & Co. I've joined leatherworker.net sometime last year, and have grown immensely as a hopeful hobbyist leather crafter (or is that "crufter"? B)) from reading postings on here. year last yleatherworker.net last year

I've made dozens of smaller and bigger items over the last year or so, including a man bag, tool rolls, a handbag or two, a laptop bag, etc. Also restored a few items for friends, family and colleagues. Below is an image of two of four tool roll style cellphone charger/cable pouches delivered to a work colleague this morning. Made from 1mm thick, pre-dyed Italian "upper" leather and brass tubular rivets, and what little stitching there are on these was done by hand using John James harness needles and acrylic upholstery thread (I think about 0.5 mm, mid-brown).

IMG_20180705_140638.JPG

20180705_090633-02.jpeg

Howsit! Born in Joey's and grew up Stateside. Back in SA in the 70s and 80s in The Mother City and was head of Photography at Michaelis, UCT.

Now in Tucson, AZ where it is 43C, but great for drying wet formed  leather and finishes. There's a big SA club in Tucson and we can buy decent boerewors at the local sausage shop. Ideal for making biltong and spice from CT is available at Amazon.

Hear CT had some rains and the taps are still working!

As for the Canuk's comments, if Cape Town is a hell hole, what do you call Saskatoon, Calgary, Winnipeg, Yellow Knife, ad nauseum...?

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

Thanks for the welcome, BDAZ! Well, that "howzit" says it all... :rolleyes: I've read many of your postings and have never suspected a South African background. Good to make your acquaintance.

Quite cold in Jozi today - predicted max @ 14°C today. I've taken a day off work today and want to start on an ammo belt for a friend's shotgun shells - he does clay pigeon shooting. He recently gave me a fresh Gemsbok (Oryx) skin... That's at a tannery being turned intoa vegtan hair-on skin at the moment. I'll receive it back in about four months. Still have not decided what to make from it.

Cape Town had a hard time with drought the last few years, so the rain is truly heaven sent. Doubt it will solve their problem this season since the it aquifers are also depleted and will take a couple of years to fill. But at least they can start showering again! :crazy:

We had our first rain today in many months. This area is a bit like the Karoo. The local Tandy leather shops carry Springbok skins (the buck, not the rugger). I am trying to remember the term for the skins, I though it was vellie...

If I can ever be of help to anyone in SA, just message me.

They have been giving the situation in CT lots of coverage on the news here as the first major city about to to run out of water. The reporter was broadcasting from the V&A.

Cheers!

Bob

Not a Saffer, but a Zimbo here. Totally different from our perspective (Zimbos make better biltong!), but pretty much same-same for the rest of the world!

G'Day

I feel like the odd one out being from Western Australia :) , however, since many of you are from  South Africa, my ex was from   Sydenham  but she also spent time in Durban in  the Natal Province  as a kid.  

One of my customers is from  Kimberley, small world eh ? ,  her family keeps me very  busy with an assortment of work, horse rug repairs , tie down strap alterations for their truck and various horse gear repairs etc. . They do a lot of cross country comps. 

But anyway,back on topic,  welcome 'emo chair ' . So 'yah man',  look forward to seeing your work :) 

HS 

Thanks for the kind offer of assistance, Bob. Appreciate it.

9 hours ago, BDAZ said:

I am trying to remember the term for the skins, I though it was vellie...

Yes, the Afrikaans for skins is "velle" (singular = "vel"). And the Afrikaans for leather is "leer" which is interestingly enough the same word we use for 'learning'. My handle - Riem - can loosely be translated as "rawhide rope" although a proper riem is not made from rawhide at all. I still don't know how to translate the Afrikaans term "brei into English... :rolleyes:

KK

12 minutes ago, Riem said:

Thanks for the kind offer of assistance, Bob. Appreciate it.

Yes, the Afrikaans for skins is "velle" (singular = "vel"). And the Afrikaans for leather is "leer" which is interestingly enough the same word we use for 'learning'. My handle - Riem - can loosely be translated as "rawhide rope" although a proper riem is not made from rawhide at all. I still don't know how to translate the Afrikaans term "brei into English... :rolleyes:

KK

I know vellie refers to veltskoen but my ex used the term velle to refer to the ubiquitous springbok skins. Am I correct or just confused. I left SA before learning Afrikaans. My ex was 1/2 Afrikaans.

Bob