TomSwede

Lightingtable for tracing patterns

Just thought I'd share my simple yet functional lighttable solution with you all.

I don't often need a lighttable but for the type of work you see on the pic I really do and since I needed to free up workingspace a couple of years ago i chucked my bigger lighttable out and replaced it with this.

The lamp is the cranelooking type wich I just pull down on my table and then I tape a printout of the desired design and the transferfilm on top of a clear piece of plastic glass (don't know it's name in English) and put it over the lamp and..voila'!

It's not the best solution but for now and then occasions it's allright with me. A piece of tape between the table and plastic sheet keep it from sliding around to much.

Cost: next to nothing.

Lamp, is what I use for whatever I do on the workingtable so: nothing

(Storing)Space: Less than a magazine

Tom

IMG_5832_01.jpg

post-5146-1201206257_thumb.jpg

I do the same thing, and I use the glass as a platform for sharpening tools with fine grade wet/dry sandpaper. Works great!

I was trying to figure out something for a light box once, was walking through a local home improvement store and saw some small florecent strip lights on sale in a 4 pack. I walked down another isle with plastic containers and saw a storage container that was opaic. I attatched a few of the lights to the inside of the lid and put the bottom on the lid (up side down and viola, I have a light box. Nothin fancy bot it works. Think I might try it with the glass like you guys mentioned though.GH

Hi,

Just turn your scanner or photo copier on lift the lid and there you have a glass surface with a light underneath.

Garry

Hi every one I use an old Photo Lab light tabel it is 18"X20" it is real nice for tracing patterns of any type. My ex got it for me when He was working for Kodack and the plant in Findlay Ohio was shuting down. They were going to toss it outso he took it for me.

Syd, way good idea. I forget picked up and earlier scanner from a biz and the software wasn't compatable with my Dell. I'll have to dig it out and find a place for it. Thanks. Good way to recycle. :thumbsup: GH

Sweet idea on the flatbed scanner.........just got one on ebay for 8.75 shipped!!! If nothing else I'll gut it and add a fluorescent fixture to it. I've been watching light tables on ebay but this is going to be way cheaper, plus its got a handy dandy cover for the work surface too!!

Thanks for the idea!!!!

Tim

Another source is craigs list, I picked up a LighttracerII for 10.00 a couple of months ago from a local amature cartoonist who was upgrading. Works like a charm. Also my latest design from a pic of a necklace I saw online.

P1290388.JPG

P1290386.JPG

post-4868-1201663325_thumb.jpg

post-4868-1201663336_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jordan

See what you started Tom. Always leading people to think of new and improved ways to do sh... stuff. These are all great ideas.

Yup!

Just keep 'em comin'.

Theres always something handy laying around and all one have to do is look hard enough in the junk corners of the home.

Money and time need to be saved wherever they can.

Two days ago I did that Motörhead skull all over since the first one was to big for the customers tiny arms and being a bit of a slacker that day I just took the glass sheet and taped down the graphics and sat myself down in the livingroom with a beer and a scotch, clamped a flashlight between my legs and put the working surface in my lap and made most of the transfer right there while watching telly with half an eye. The tricky parts of it were saved to the day after but that may well have been an effect from that whisky, lol.

Nice and comfy it was.

Tom

Most Doctor and Vet offices are going to Digital X-Rays, so they don't use their X-Ray Lightboxes any more. I got a huge one for free. Just call around.

Laffo

I built mine out of scrap plywood, a peice of diffuser panel for fluorescent lighting, and a piece of plexi to cover it all. I use an old fixture from a discarded lamp and a corkscrew flourescent bulb I will try and snap a picture or 2.

I was thinking about taking a old wooden TV tray and cutting a hole in the middle of it, and putting glass and then attach a light to one of the legs...Just a thought, and everything is easy to get a hold of.

I realize this is an older thread, but I have a very easy solution for this as well.

Table with leaves in it. Pull a leaf or two out and put on a sheet of plexiglass or glass. Put a lamp on the floor under the table.

I use my coffee table. I am sure a lot of people have dining room tables with leaves that can be removed temporarily.